Topic Sponsor

Alignment Issues after Install of Moog 824s

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Alignment Issues after Install of Moog 824s

As the title says, I installed a set of Moog 824s for the additional lift and better ride this past Thursday. It leveled out the truck great and love the look! Made sure to drive the truck quite a bit on Friday and Saturday to help them settle a bit before getting it aligned Saturday afternoon. I gave the alignment shop a set of adjustable camber bushings that were good enough to go -/+ 2.75 degrees. Even after the install of the new alignment bushings, I’m still out +3.0 on the driver front and +2.5 on the passenger side.

I have tried to research a bit to alleviate this problem, but only things I can come up with is either, put a set of more “stock” springs back in i.e. the Moog 820s or try to lower the radius arms/or axle halves with drop brackets. Anyone have any tips on the problem or am I already going in the right direction?

I hate to spend the time and money in drop brackets when I could have just installed a Rough Country 2.5/4” lift when all I was even wanting was to level the truck out to fit some 32s a little better.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:52 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

824's aren't that huge of a lift. The alignment shop should have been able to do better. IMHO
Old 10-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 489 Likes on 436 Posts

Agree with Chris here - I've got 824's on my truck and the shop was able to align it to spec with a -2.75 degree bushing. It sounds to me like they put the bushings in at zero and never dialed them in after the fact.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Ok thanks for the input. That was yet another reason why I decided on the 824s because people spoke so highly of them and the ease of people being able to get the alignment good after installing them since they are a “close to stock” spring. I can understand if they were like a 2-3” taller spring, but the 824s are barely an inch taller than stock if I understand correctly. I took my truck to Ford Quick Lane to get it aligned. Any better ideas on where I should take it? I know I have a Pep Boys and Firestone close and a couple of mom and pop stores.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM

I would probably take it back to the shop I had it done and tell them to do it right, or at least prove to you that they adjusted the bushings correctly. The ford TTB is a pain to align properly - a good rule of thumb would be to find a shop with an alignment tech who has some gray in his beard or hair. Speack specifically to the tech and ask them if they have ever aligned a Ford TTB and see what they say.

It cost me about $200 for alignment and that included the price of the bushings and install.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:02 PM

I’m almost positive they set the bushing back in at 0. Just took a look at the truck on my lunch break, and I can tell that the bushing is set at 0 or even less. Both ball joints are pointing towards the tire. If I understand the physics of a TTB, the ball joint should be pulled in to move the face of the rotor toward the truck to correct positive camber right?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:57 PM

That sounds correct. Sounds like the alignment tech didn't pay attention or wanted to go to lunch early. I would take it back and have them redo it ASAP.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 PM

Ok, thanks for the help and advice. I didn’t think I was completely off on my diagnosis before I take it back to them. Won’t be able to make it back up there till Wednesday, but I’ll let y’all know.

Definitely don’t want to get into drop brackets just for a set of replacement springs!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

I installed 824s myself, along with adjustable bushings, eyeballed it until i had time to get it aligned and did so well that i was just barely outside of spec when i finally got time to get it into a shop. Since it was so close i just paid $25 for the scan and left it as is. SO.... if they cant get it even relatively close then it's their issue and nothing to do with your parts, find a dif shop.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by fltdriver
I installed 824s myself, along with adjustable bushings, eyeballed it until i had time to get it aligned and did so well that i was just barely outside of spec when i finally got time to get it into a shop. Since it was so close i just paid $25 for the scan and left it as is. SO.... if they cant get it even relatively close then it's their issue and nothing to do with your parts, find a dif shop.
I agree as well. As BLDTruth suggested, it seems as if the tech just wanted to get done and go to lunch. It was 1pm when I did leave lol. After looking at the cam bushings/ball joints again this morning, they have the bushing in the complete wrong direction. The tech installed and dialed the adjustment in the wrong direction and has the adjustment all the way to where the ball joint is facing each tire, not towards the engine which would pull the top of the tire in.