Topic Sponsor

1988 towing capacity GCWR

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 towing capacity GCWR

I have a 1988 F150 XLT Lariat RWD 5.0L with auto. It came with anti sway bars front and rear when I bought it with 133k miles. It has rear axle code 19 (3.55 ratio) which, as I recall, matches the tag on the diff. It has a transmission cooler.
I am trying to figure out the towing capacity from the manual, but it has different ratings depending on factory options: super cooling and handling/suspension package. What are these?

Side question: I took off the anti sway bars to replace the bushings and I found that the bars are also worn out. I have been unable to find stock replacements. Do you know of any? All I see are bigger bars for $$$. I already bought a full set of bushings. I have not been to a yard to check, but I fear that those will be worn out from the same rust problem.

Thank you
Old 03-31-2018, 01:25 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Super cooling is a 7-blade fan (as opposed to the normal 5-blade) and a 2-core radiator (core almost as thick as the tanks, as opposed to 1/2 as thick).

Handling/suspension is special springs (not visibly distinguishable from normal springs), F&R sway bars, quad front shocks, & maybe a few other subtle parts.

As you identify features of your truck, add them to your signature. This caption explains how to collect & organize most of them:

(phone app link)

What do you mean by the sway bars being "worn out"? They don't wear. They only rub against their rubber bushings, which are too soft to wear the spring steel. The best place to get replacements would be your local JYs - put your location in your profile.
The following users liked this post:
ProctorSilex (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve83, Thanks for the info. Sorry for the late response. The rear bar rusted heavily at the end links. I chipped and ground away all the crap. The front bar had a loose end link bolt that wallowed out the hole on one side. Since I have not had time to search yards, I think I will fill the voids with JB Weld and bolt the end links on to make the shape. I think there is enough material left to hold up.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:31 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

That would be a waste of time & JB Weld, but they're both yours to waste.

Quick Reply: 1988 towing capacity GCWR