Topic Sponsor

What kind of shocks are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What kind of shocks are you running?

I just purchased a 1995 Super Cab 4x4 and I'm thinking about installing Moog 824 coil springs in the front. I was just curious what kind of shocks you guys would recommend I install with these. Also, what are you using for rear shocks, I'm thinking about going with adjustable air shocks.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

the cheap ranchos are good for the money, especially off road or rougher roads/terrain. the best shock choice probably depends on what you are after..if i were to spend more money i would have went for their fully click adjustable models..
Old 09-10-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I used Motorcraft shocks from RockAuto and they ride smooth. If I had $350 I would have gone with Bilstein 5100s though.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:04 AM
1994 F150 XLT 5.8L 2wd

Received 247 Likes on 237 Posts

I went with the Monroe sensa trac load assisting (coil over shock) in the front and air adjustable for the back when I swapped in my 824's. I loved them, everything felt like it would have off of the lot, that is until my rear spring snapped and I replaced both of them, literally night and day for ride quality after that. If you are going to do part of the suspension I recommend going all out on it. This is what I did:
Upper/lower Ball joints
Inner/outer wheel bearings
Shocks
new rear leaf springs
radius arm bushings
pads/shoes
drums/rotor-hub assembly
calipers
wheel cylinders
(tie rods coming soon)

Make sure you get some adjustable bushings for the 824 install, I was able to get my alignment done in my garage with a level for camber and measuring from back of rotor to front of rear tire for caster, been about a year and no issues or uneven tire wear. Moog # is k80108 or k80109 depending on 4x4 or 2wd- either way you'll need 2.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:13 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by M0RRIS
Bumping this for a question.

I could swear there was mention on here about running an AAL and 5100 bilstiens in the rear. Doing so does it cause the shock to be over extended? I’d like to run an AAL but don’t wanna risk over extending it.
How much lift would you get with an AAL? Pretty sure the 5100s are rated for 0-1" of lift in the rear. There's a 1.5" AAL for our trucks if that's what you were looking at. I can't see that 0.5" making a huge difference. We have to compress them a lot when we install them, right? It's been a while since I installed mine, but there was certainly quite a bit you had to compress, far more than the 2" of lift and some travel in the shock.

I guess what you can do is jack the rear hitch up to simulate having another leaf, and then some more to see how much travel you'd have. Personally I would just run it if it's 2" or less, but I'm the kind of person to run it if it works and worry about it when something breaks, lol

Plus, how often do you plan on going over jumps and having the rear fully extended? Probably not much haha. I'd still wait for someone more knowledgable than me to chime in, but that's what I think
Old 07-29-2018, 10:14 PM

Received 226 Likes on 158 Posts

Wow I botched that one, huh?. Don't have any idea how I got on this thread, sorry guys

Quick Reply: What kind of shocks are you running?