Topic Sponsor

need some thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some thoughts

Morning guys I recently picked up a 1990 f150 w/ the 5.0 efi, identical motor to my 89, bronco. It was indeed a bargain bin grab I wanted the cool old school rims for my bronco mainly and parts. Motor is said to have been overheated, I did have it running somewhat only while playing with the throttle( I did have it idling and had good response at one point then it died). Pulled the plugs and they were horrible looking, some broke and all were fouled while only one looked suspicious. Gas in the oil so that was changed out also.

My question is if it was badly overheated what major items were effected or are these engine pretty tough ? I want to run it in this summers demo derby if I can get it running good enough. I will fuel pressure test and swap some easy parts tonight to see if it will run.

Travis
Old 02-19-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i cant keep it running and it was spittin what looks like coolant out the exhaust im thinking the block is cracked or heads warpped...
Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

Head gasket ? Something made it overheat in the first place. Or did overheating warp the head ? What came first, the chicken or the egg? kind of thing. Either way, probably not worth spending the money for a demo derby truck.

Quick Reply: need some thoughts