Topic Sponsor

96 4.9 will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 96 4.9 will not start

HELP! new starter, new starter relay, new battery, and new positive and negative battery cables. All I get when I turn the key is a click and the engine does not turn over. Was harder starting before new starter and battery and I thought bad battery, tried jump and no luck, had the starter checked and it was barely ingauging so I replaced the starter. Nothing. Replaced starter relay. Nothing. Checked voltage at starter and it matches battery. When I checked starter relay connection voltage seems weird - what should it be? I can push start with clutch but key no go. Any ideas on what I'm missing?? 96 F150 4.9 manual
Old 08-12-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

I would check the wire, and it's end connections, that runs between the fender mounted relay(solenoid) and the solenoid on top of the starter.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you accidently reverse the wires on the fender mounted solenoid? A friend of mine did.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM

Battery cables and relay wiring is all new. Installed wiring the same one it was originally. Voltage is 12.27 across the two posts
Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 AM

It has been awhile since I worked on older Fords. There used to be two plug-in connectors on the relay and you reversed them there was no crank. I see from your picture that you have only one plug-in. Is there a chance you got a bad new starter or relay? If and only if you feel confident, try jumping the starter directly to the battery. You can do this with the starter out of the truck. Auto parts store should be able to test also. I had a rebuild alternator go bad almost immediately once, so sometimes you do get bad parts.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM

the starter is brand new not rebuilt bosch but I guess its possible. only one booted plug, believe its for clutch switch. voltage across relay is 12.27 right cable goes to battery and left goes to starter
Old 08-13-2017, 04:31 PM

So after numerous attempts of checking and rechecking connections; even removed starter to have it check; she starts! Problem was negative battery cable connected to starter, as it was from the factory. After searching the good old interweb for google images of Ford starter pictures I saw a few Fords negative cable connected to the frame and not the starter post. Decided to give it a try and BAM! She's running again

Had to buy an extension strap for the negative battery cable and attach to the bell housing. Starts like a new truck.
The following users liked this post:
JCH841 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 09:16 PM

Good deal.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 490 Likes on 424 Posts

Your grounding system needs attention. The (neg)are not originally connected directly to the starter bolt.My negative (factory)bolts to the engine block as every vehicle I have owned.. There are many smaller wires then go from various spots on the engine to frame, body panels etc. I have on several fords, run an extra welding cable from the block to the starter mounting bolt because resistance builds up between grounding points, engine and transmission bell housing due to corrosion. I know you got it started, but actually in theory, the starter should work better with a direct negative connection from the battery, which is why I ran a line from starter mount to engine block. I hope it continues to work for you.

Last edited by raski; 08-14-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by raski
I know you got it started, but actually in theory, the starter should work better with a direct negative connection from the battery, which is why I ran a line from starter mount to engine block. I hope it continues to work for you.
so reconnect the negative from the battery to the negative starter post and the ground strap from the negative starter post to the starter mounting bolt?