Topic Sponsor

89 F150 rebuild questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 89 F150 rebuild questions.

Hey everybody I have an 89 f150 with the 4.9 and am planning a rebuild on the motor and I have a few questions. First I'm also replacing the clutch at the same time and was wondering if replacing the flywheel should be on my to do list as well. The truck will eventually be lifted and turned into an offroader I'm replacing the stock camshaft with a comp cams one is there anything else that can be done to the motor to increase torque. I plan on a K&N intake and Hooker headers with straight back exhaust. And are there any surprises i should keep an eye out for this will be my first rebuild so any tips or hints would be a great help thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just out a clutch in mine and you can either get the 10 or 11 inch clutch, mine came with the 10 but the 11 is cheaper and rated for over 8500lbs. You might as well I the flywheel hole you have it out, chances are it's never been changed and if you do go to the 11 inch make sure that you get new bolts to hold the clutch to the flywheel cuz they are slightly bigger in the 11inch. Autozone has the 11 inch with pressure plate, pilot bearing and release bearing for about 90 if I remember correct and the 11 inch fly wheel was 75. And it should bolt of just fine, mine did, we'll worth it since you are buildin a mud you, plays it's actualy cheaper for the bigger clutch and fly wheel. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 89 F150 rebuild questions.