Topic Sponsor

Valve job plus mods, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve job plus mods, any advice?

89 f150 4.9 5spd 2wd about 85,000 on motor. I noticed that I had one cylinder not firein so I got to doin some diognostics and found number 4 wasn't firein, so I pulled the plug and ran a compression test on itt, I have 0 compression in number 4, I then pulled number one plug and check it and had 140lbs of pressure. I'm guessin since there is 0 compression that a valve is stuck, so I'm goin to go ahead and do a complete valve job while I have it tore apart and puttin a cam in it while I'm at it, the motor is board .60 out already.
Plannin on doin:
Mild can
Valve job
Throttle body spacer
Header
And maybe injectors
Any one know good places to get all of this, I've been lookin on summit? And what would else would be good to do while I'm at it, the motor has about 85,000 on it since the bore so I'm not really not wantin to mess with the pistons down.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Sounds like you have pretty much everything you need for the head/intake/exhaust work. The only thing I would add to it is taking a dremel or small file and making sure there are no rough edges on the exhaust ports. I've done that to several engines. Not sure if it actually helps, but I'm of the "way of thinking" that you want air to move freely out of the exhaust with as little terbulance as possible. I usually left the intake a little rough. Again my "thinking" is that the little bit of terbulance might atomize the fuel a little better for combustion. Probably doesn't help really, but ignorance is bliss. I'm not sure where a good parts supply is. The last 4.9 I had was about 15 years ago. lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks got the tip. I was thinkin about portin the head if I can find a good shop around here again, the guy I use to use got tired of it and just sells parts now, he was gettin up there in age. I'm not tryin to get to crazy on the build but just want some more out of it, granted fixin the valve would help a lot but I figure why not go a little more haha. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Valve job plus mods, any advice?