Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

LED headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LED headlight bulbs

I bought a set of the BroView V8 H13 LED headlight bulbs from Amazon. They are identical to the bulbs that one of the vendors around here sells, only they say "BroView" on them.

https://www.amazon.com/BROVIEW-Headl.../dp/B01BF6EBES

I'm not sure why the H13 size doesnt show up anymore... maybe thats temporary.

Anyway, they seem to do the trick, but they're not perfect.

First, I had to use the adjustment screw to position the bulb so that it sits in a vertical position once mounted. However, since you can only rotate the bulb in 45 degree increments, I couldn't get it perfect. Fully tight, the bulb still sits about 10 degrees away from being perpendicular to the ground.

Hard to tell in this picture, but here the bulb is fully tight and its still not quite perpendicular to the ground.

Name:  IMG_20161113_1638074.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  204.4 KB

I've had to leave the bulbs slightly loose in order to get them to sit straight up. And, if I didn't, the beam pattern scatters.

Here's how the beam pattern looks properly adjusted compared to stock:

Name:  IMG_20161028_1040242.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  151.3 KB

I had to adjust the headlight down quite a bit after installing the LED bulb to get it back to proper height.

Anyway, the beam pattern looks great on the wall, but I wasn't impressed when I took the truck out on a dark night. Driving down the road the light output is fine, but really just seems to be a different color than stock.

Overall I'm not disappointed, but I'm not excited either.

I think to get a quality brighter light output I will just have to do a proper projector retrofit.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Thanks for supporting the vendors

Do your highs and lows both work? More curiosity then anything.

With trucks like yours HID/LED don't work the best in the style housing (the LED's work a lot better on the 2015+) but they still work where they won't blind oncoming drivers.

Too bad they are installed, I'd love to see a photo of the ballast, more importantly, the H13 connector that you plug into your truck.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:34 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Couple things, rkneeshaw, you posted another thread where your lenses of your Hella headlights were junk. That being said, the bulbs probably dont sit right in them because they are aftermarket and look bad because of your nasty lenses (as evident from pics in your other thread). I have Broviews in a couple vehicles, no issues you speak of.

As to the vendor, comments like "thanks for supporting the vendors" is not needed. We live in a free country with a free market. We are not obligated to buy anything from a vendor simply because you are a vendor. I have made a couple purchases from you by choice, but didnt have to. Snide comments will end up working against you, especially to people that dont know you very well, like potential new customers. Just something to think about.
The following users liked this post:
1lowranger (12-02-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Do your highs and lows both work? More curiosity then anything.
Too bad they are installed, I'd love to see a photo of the ballast, more importantly, the H13 connector that you plug into your truck.
Oh yeah, the highs and lows both work. I dropped the truck off at the shop for some control arm work, when I get it back I'll pop the hood and snap a picture of the ballast for you.

Originally Posted by Summers22
Couple things, rkneeshaw, you posted another thread where your lenses of your Hella headlights were junk. That being said, the bulbs probably dont sit right in them because they are aftermarket and look bad because of your nasty lenses (as evident from pics in your other thread). I have Broviews in a couple vehicles, no issues you speak of.
Good point. Very good point.

its a shame about the Hella headlights, because they look so dang good when they are new, and I thought Hella would be a reputable brand. Can't always trust that I guess.

Once the weather gets nice again I'll get the stock headlights out of storage and remount them and see how these fit.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:34 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Good plan!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:47 PM

I pulled my stock headlights out of storage. I installed the OEM drivers side headlight, and at first just used a halogen bulb. It was aligned right at first go. Hella headlight with BroView LED is on the passenger side.

Name:  IMG_20161202_1243079.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  153.6 KB

Then in the same stock OEM drivers side headlight I installed the BroView LED headlight. Here is how it looked without adjustment:

Name:  IMG_20161202_1245177.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  197.7 KB

I think its normal for most people with these LED headlight bulbs to have to adjust the headlight down after installation. Despite claims that the LED bulbs keep the LEDs at the same position as the halogen filament, it must not be quite right still, so some adjustment is still needed.

High beams work just fine.

Overall output looks the same as with my hella aftermarket headlights with the lenses that are starting to fail.

For 4x4truckleds.com:

Last edited by rkneeshaw; 12-02-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Thanks. Yeah that's the older ballast design. That's why I asked about your highs/lows working properly.

They removed the date code on the back and put their logo on. So I can't tell exactly how old but it's an earlier one. You can tell because of the H13 connector. Ours are 100% molded in. There's have exposed wires and glue to hold it in. Ours used to have that many many months ago. But we're using a newer design ballast now so it's 100% molded, nothing exposed, nothing that can pull out.

They are using newer bulbs though like ours (they started barcoding every bulb for quality control... they being the little chinese guys who actually make these for us all)
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM

Its a shame my hella headlights are such crap. It discolored the light output a bit due to my lens issue, which you cant really see in the pictures but I notice it when driving.

I'm going to scrap the LED bulb idea and pursue a projector retrofit with some better quality headlight housings.
The following users liked this post:
1lowranger (12-03-2016)