Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

HID Troubleshooting Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:01 PM

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Default HID Troubleshooting Help

Hey guys,

First HID install. Been reading through past threads in the forums and they've been a great help for working out most of the kinks I've encountered.

I'm down to my last issue:
- Kit is Innovited 35W AC Canbus Error-Free Anti-Flicker in 6000K with relay

- Relay randomly has periods of intense buzzing, I can't track it down to any cause besides when the truck is running (no buzzing when truck is off)

- Daytime running lights are turned off. Normally I would think this is an issue with needing a capacitor, but doesn't the anti-flicker module (blue box) already contain one? The only suggestion I've seen so far is to put a capacitor underneath the relay cap.

- Kit is wired exactly as shown in attached picture. Picture of kit also attached.

Thanks.

HID Troubleshooting Help-photo223.jpg
HID Troubleshooting Help-photo757.jpg
Old 12-30-2016, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Well all I can recommend is you buy a quality HID kit. I looked these kits up briefly on amazon, NOT the best reviews. VERY inexpensive ($30 ??? can't even buy a set of bulbs for $30). 67% gave it 5 stars, 12% 4 star, so that leaves 21% of 717 customers (150 customers) with 3 stars and less... not good in my opinion.

Not 100% sure if that's the same kit you have though.

But if you are having buzzing sounds like your ballats are going... you need a quality ballast (that's why the OEM ones cost so much, because they go through rigours testing to be "picked" by the vehicle manufacturers.

I've had my faire share of crappy HID kits WAY back in the day (we're talking over 18 years ago). I know they've come a long way and prices have dropped but i've always said "you get what you pay for"

So maybe just try a new HID kit
Old 12-30-2016, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Well all I can recommend is you buy a quality HID kit. I looked these kits up briefly on amazon, NOT the best reviews. VERY inexpensive ($30 ??? can't even buy a set of bulbs for $30). 67% gave it 5 stars, 12% 4 star, so that leaves 21% of 717 customers (150 customers) with 3 stars and less... not good in my opinion.

Not 100% sure if that's the same kit you have though.

But if you are having buzzing sounds like your ballats are going... you need a quality ballast (that's why the OEM ones cost so much, because they go through rigours testing to be "picked" by the vehicle manufacturers.

I've had my faire share of crappy HID kits WAY back in the day (we're talking over 18 years ago). I know they've come a long way and prices have dropped but i've always said "you get what you pay for"

So maybe just try a new HID kit
You are everywhere. You should change your username to the terminator or something.

But in all serious, I think the list price on this particular HID kit is $69.99. Since Innovited gifted it to me I'm trying to do my due diligence to get it working properly. I did a bit of reading around on different vehicle forums and it looks like a $0.25 35W capacitor under the relay cap should keep it from switching on/off rapidly with the pulse width modulation.

I'll post my results tonight.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Well I stay involved. I don't just post about LED's either, although that's MOST of my posts. I also post about electronics/stereos/lifts/etc... as I use the forum not only as a Vendor but for other interesting topics.

The capacitor could be bad and maybe that's what the noise is coming from?

You mentioned the buzzing so that's why i think it's a bad ballast (or a capacitor as you mentioned you are using one).

The lamps themselves WILL have a slight high pitched sound but maybe you can post a VIDEO where we can hear the noise? A lot of troubleshooting can be done from noises.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 PM

$0.40 capacitor installed, problem solved, smooth as butter. Love when it's a cheap fix.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Where did you install the cap?
Old 01-05-2017, 10:00 AM

Just like this,

HID Troubleshooting Help-photo142.jpg

Except make sure the white stripe of the capacitor is on the other side. I hooked it up exactly as shown in the picture the first time and blew up the capacitor. Buy more than one just to be safe, they're only $0.40.
The following users liked this post:
SargeZ06 (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EPag
Just like this,

Attachment 462346

Except make sure the white stripe of the capacitor is on the other side. I hooked it up exactly as shown in the picture the first time and blew up the capacitor. Buy more than one just to be safe, they're only $0.40.
Perfect. Thanks
Old 01-05-2017, 10:04 AM

No problem. I'd let it run for 1-2 minutes before you tape it up to be sure, as that's about how long it took for my capacitor to explode when I had it the wrong way.