Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Help diagnosing issue with Spyder headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help diagnosing issue with Spyder headlights

I've had a set of Spyder halo headlamps installed in my 2012 FX4 for a couple of years now without issue. A couple months ago I had an HID kit installed to brighten them up, and everything's been working fine until now.

I just noticed that on either side, both the LED strip below and the Halos aren't firing up, but the amber turn lights and HID kit come on just fine. The Spyder tech rep said to remove one light, connect it to the battery, and see if it works - if so, it's a connection issue, if not, the set will need to be replaced.

Problem is, I've got no experience working with electrical and I was hoping someone might be able to give me step-by-step instructions so I don't fry myself or damage anything further.

Thanks!

PS - Looking back, these lights were a mistake and I admit no where near the quality I paid for. If these are indeed fried, I will go with stock 2013-2014 lights as they are very sharp looking and built with much higher quality.

Last edited by prd86; 05-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Glad you realized you got what you paid for.

It'll be tough to walk you through it but the rep wants you to try and test the lights with a different power source is all, to verify it's not something in the harness.

I honestly don't know where to begin to help you I don't have those lights... but it sounds like the led's might be fried and you need to replace them (if you can).

If you have no experience in electrical just have a friend help you.. it'll be easier then TRYING to walk you through it.

Bottom line is, POSITIVE (RED) and NEGATIVE (BLACK) hook them up and see what turns on... 12VDC (which is what your battery is)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 AM

I appreciate the feedback.

I should be able to figure it out on my own, doesn't sound as complicated as I was making it out to be.

If I'm required to snip the wires to release the lights, can I do so with the lights wired up or would it be a safe idea to disconnect the battery first?
Old 06-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

It's only 12vdc so you can cut them... just don't let the wires touch each other or the chassis is all (the chassis acts as a GROUND, negative)
Old 06-02-2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
It's only 12vdc so you can cut them... just don't let the wires touch each other or the chassis is all (the chassis acts as a GROUND, negative)
Awesome, thanks for that. I'll see what I can figure out this weekend! If they are indeed fried, they cannot be repaired the tech said. This will be a lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing issue with Spyder headlights