Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Headlight Reconstruction

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight Reconstruction

So I am about to put my old stock headlights in the oven so I can take the lens apart from the back. I'm kind of nervous....

What kind of paint should i use to paint the inside? Rustoleum?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Use a scotch brite pad (white) to give the chrome a surface the paint can more easily stick to, and use Krylon Fusion paint. It sticks really well, and can hold up to the heat.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by StuckZipper
Use a scotch brite pad (white) to give the chrome a surface the paint can more easily stick to, and use Krylon Fusion paint. It sticks really well, and can hold up to the heat.
Thanks so much!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:12 AM

Let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:46 AM

Good luck. I've tried this before and it never works out. If it turns out good please share your tips!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmehuron
Good luck. I've tried this before and it never works out. If it turns out good please share your tips!
I've not only seen it work, I've done it. There is a whole write-up with pictures on the other f-150 forum. Link below. I did it with my 2007 Tundra, and it worked great!

I agree with the Krylon Fusion paint, as it's specially formulated for plastics. Agree with the light sanding of the plastic chrome to give the paint something to adhere to. I'm actually on here looking to see if anyone's done it to their 2009+ headlights.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

Never done it on F150 lights but have done it on other headlights. I took apart a set of $1600 self levelling hid lights. I was extremely nervous but it turned out to be way easier than I expected.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Problem Solver

Received 358 Likes on 262 Posts

Wink

Originally Posted by abgiles
I've not only seen it work, I've done it. There is a whole write-up with pictures on the other f-150 forum. Link below. I did it with my 2007 Tundra, and it worked great!

I agree with the Krylon Fusion paint, as it's specially formulated for plastics. Agree with the light sanding of the plastic chrome to give the paint something to adhere to. I'm actually on here looking to see if anyone's done it to their 2009+ headlights.

The 2009+ HL's are a PITA. For whatever reason the odd shape makes them prone to cracking and deforming when you take them apart. Unlike out singular angle ones, these have a 90* in the inner part of the lens and that's where you will have the most issues getting it to reseal.

One set I did from a 2010 F150 looked pretty good, but when you bolt them back down it pulls inward on that part of the housing, separating the lens. You wont know it till you wash it and the HL fogs up, and there is condensation running down the inside of the lens. Pretty sweet.

Best advice I can give you is to take your time, and use low temperatures. If it's an option get the aftermarket HL's because their adhesive isn't nearly as hard. Be very careful on that corner when you separate the lens from the housing so you don't spread the channel the lens sits in. Use Butyl tape from Napa (for windshields) to reseal it, heat it up, then strap them tight to make sure they squish into the butyl.

Last edited by iRub1Out; 08-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Headlight Reconstruction