Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Ground wire for led?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Ground wire for led?

Just installed my new backup Baja LEDs.
I had to drill a hole in one of the tube support frames for the rear bumper so I can mount the light bracket to it.
I ran my power wire from the front so I have power at the rear bumper, but here's the issue that I'm having. I may know the answer but just want clarification on it.

I grounded out the light on the driver side to the same tubular frame that the brackets are mounted to. When I turned the switch on, not only was the light on the driver side illuminated but the light on the passenger side was illuminated as well. There is power obviously going to the passenger LED, but that light is not grounded. I did not ground the black wire coming out of the light, it's just hanging there. Seeing as how the brackets are mounted to the same tubular frame and I have one ground going to the tubular frame, are the bolts going through the brackets acting like a ground for the passenger Led and I would assume for the driver led as well?
If so, do I still need to ground the black wire coming out of the light fixture on the passenger side or just leave it as is?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Hah welcome to Baja Designs... I had a similar experience.

I think they light itself (the metal on the light) is grounded...

I had installed my 2 lights on my pillars and went to test them, hooking up the positive first and WHAM they came on... but i never attached the ground wire to anything.

My assumption was the light itself acts as a ground... which is odd... but looks like they light housing itself is connected somehow to the actual ground itself... not sure if it's buy design to give you a really good ground or what.

I'd attach both wires still even though it may work using the housing as a ground.

Quick Reply: Ground wire for led?