Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Different direction of light question HID to halogen

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Different direction of light question HID to halogen

Hello all,

Here is the situation in short. I have a 2011 with halogens. My buddy has a 13 with HIDs. He is trading his truck in and we are going to swap our lights first so I can get some free factory ford HIDs

So the question is, what do I need to take from his truck versus purchase and as important, what is it going to take to put MY halogens in his HID truck?

Thank you for any help.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:09 PM

Received 893 Likes on 585 Posts

The wiring is different. You need the harness that is available at theretrofitsource.com. Your buddy, I have no idea. Probably need to do something custom with his wiring, so either one of you guys better be good with wiring or pay someone to do it.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
The wiring is different. You need the harness that is available at theretrofitsource.com. Your buddy, I have no idea. Probably need to do something custom with his wiring, so either one of you guys better be good with wiring or pay someone to do it.
So we are gonna have to hack his up then? I thought maybe this would be simple.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Solar07
So we are gonna have to hack his up then? I thought maybe this would be simple.
Ive never heard of anyone actually doing this. Its been asked a time or two, but the wiring is definitely different.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Won't the bulb size be different as well? His truck uses an H13 but his buddies using an HID if it's from the factory, which has a DIFFERENT base.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4TruckLEDS.com
Won't the bulb size be different as well? His truck uses an H13 but his buddies using an HID if it's from the factory, which has a DIFFERENT base.
Correct. I just considered that part of the wiring though. If you have the wiring for the halogen equipped truck, you'll then have the plugs for the H13 bulbs.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:39 AM

I have not been able to locate a HID to halogen harness. You would think I could just cut and splice somewhere least case scenario.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Solar07
I have not been able to locate a HID to halogen harness.
Doubt anyone would go through the hassle of making something that would sell maybe 5 ever. Only time anyone would sell this would be your in your scenario (which I have seen before, because it was asked before) or if someone wrecked their or bought a wrecked truck and wanted to fix it on the cheap.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by eyecandynsx
Doubt anyone would go through the hassle of making something that would sell maybe 5 ever. Only time anyone would sell this would be your in your scenario (which I have seen before, because it was asked before) or if someone wrecked their or bought a wrecked truck and wanted to fix it on the cheap.
I figured as much. There was mentioned above of something like this so I was searching around. I have not been able to locate any other threads where this was successfully done either. I'm thinking this will not be worth the hassle. I'm content with my halogens, I just figured there just might be an easy way to do this and bump up in headlight quality on the cheap

Quick Reply: Different direction of light question HID to halogen