Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

Third Brake Light LED

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Third Brake Light LED

After seeing how the stock third brake light produces light, Im looking for an upgrade. I've seen both Anzo and Putco have their own kits to replace the stock light and bulbs. Companies also offer LED replacement bulbs for the stock ones. Anyone have any advice or experience on this subject?
Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 PM
F150 Forum

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not going to put my business hat on this one and just give you my opinion. I like factory lamps with upgraded bulbs for the positions that you are referring to. In my truck I have a 50W Cree red bulb for the third brake light with the matching but brighter led bulbs for the tail lights 80W CREE. Takes the yellow away and makes the red lamps truly solid red and much more brighter and quicker to turn on. I also added two dual line strips for added braking lights.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by dmercc
After seeing how the stock third brake light produces light, Im looking for an upgrade. I've seen both Anzo and Putco have their own kits to replace the stock light and bulbs. Companies also offer LED replacement bulbs for the stock ones. Anyone have any advice or experience on this subject?
If it were my money, I wouldn't swap out the housing as you would with a Putco/Anzo. It's just a replacement housing. The housing works great you just need new bulbs.

ClaraLux CL90 921 bulbs are EXTREMELY popular and EXTREMELY bright for your cargo lights and a simple CL10 194 Red bulb does the job for the 3rd brake light.

I would not go too bright on the 3rd brake light. You don't want to draw too much attention to the top of your truck, that's what your rear brakes are for. The 3rd brake light is more of a courtesy. People will pay attention to this instead of the actual rear of your truck.

Keep in mind IF your truck already has a 3rd Brake Light/Cargo light WITH LED's already from Ford, you cant' swap the bulbs out. Some trucks have an LED light above the rear window already and this type of light cannot take replacement bulbs. In that case, you would have to look at replacing the entire housing with something from Putco/Anzo/other manufacturers

Last edited by Martian; 07-05-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: rule #2
Old 06-25-2017, 12:17 AM
F150 Forum

The third brake light is the most important brake light. No wonder all auto markers switched them to leds on most vehicles earlier than any other position. It's the first light that the driver behind wil see.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:24 AM
Banned

You don't want to go too bright on rear lights that traffic sees... it gets too distracting and can blind other drivers. That's why im not a fan of these aftermarket housings with integrated LED's... they generally have a clear housing and use a colored LED which is just too bright without a lense to cover it. a Red LED behind a red lense is optimal for drivers behind you (or amber for amber lenses/etc...)
Old 06-26-2017, 11:44 AM
F150 Forum

Changing the bulb to the led will allow for more durability, a more solid color and will be brighter. The light bulb won't affect or glare other drivers, that is what the the lamp is for. Also note the red color is the darkest in LED providing the least of brightness.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Banned

Incorrect. Blue LEDs produce the least amount when placed side by side with LEDs using the same chipsets/etc..

Amber (Yellow)/Red in 2nd followed by your winner, White, producing the most light output.

Bulbs CAN produce glare/blinding features to other drivers.

Not sure what You mean by "more solid color will be brighter".

Also you said "this is what the lamp is for" lamps = the part that lights up. HOUSING = what the light is installed in.

Last edited by Martian; 07-05-2017 at 02:12 PM. Reason: vendor warring