2018 HID Install Help - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

2018 HID Install Help

Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
Retired WebJAL God

Default 2018 HID Install Help

Hey guys,

I purchased an HID kit from Vanquish Auto 6000K with CANBUS for my 2018 SE with Halogens. I went through the wheel well and connected everything properly while handling the bulbs with fresh rubber gloves. Tested the driver side and nothing. Swapped ballasts, nothing, swapped bulbs and ballasts, nothing. Would one side not work without the other side installed or is this kit just not working on the 2018s? I gave Vantage a call and shot them a text but being today is Sunday I didnít expect a reply. Hopefully they call back tomorrow.

Any help is appreciated!

Vinny
vmantia1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #2

HID's dont belong in halogen housings unless youre doing a proper retrofit. Send that **** back...
eyecandynsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Retired WebJAL God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecandynsx View Post
HID's dont belong in halogen housings unless youre doing a proper retrofit. Send that **** back...
What an insightful, intelligent and well though out reply, over ruled!

Anyway, I called Vanquish and they told me to try switching polarity on the harness. I just popped out the pins and reversed them. I will be giving it a shot probably some time Wednesday if not by Friday and will report back. Most likely a 2018 issue at this point.
vmantia1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmantia1980 View Post
What an insightful, intelligent and well though out reply, over ruled!
Actually they do not belong in halogen housings. Halogen reflectors are designed for a halogen bulb. So while you may think you're cool with having hid's and think it will give you better light output, it doesnt. All it does is spread the light and cause glare and blind others in traffic. A proper retrofit will focus the light where it needs to go without causing glare to others on the road. Im not a fan at all of this vanquish guy from his posts earlier which he sees no problem with it, but then again if he sees no problem why does he do proper retrofits??
Old 12-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Banned

Ehh that argument is old... newer HID kits can work just fine in reflector housings. As long as it's a good quality HID or LED kit you won't have issues.

Back to the topic and issue at hand however.

I'm not familiar with the kit you are using but is there a relay that came with it? The relay hooks up usually to one side of the factory H11 connector (inside the housing, 9005 for highs) and in turn connects both sides of the headlamps to the relay. The relay gets power from the battery as HIDs require a LOT more power then halogen bulbs are designed for.

So without the relay your lights will typically NOT turn on.

Usually a good relay will have 1 headlight connector on it (H11 in your case) and will power BOTH ballasts in your HID kit. However there are some kits that require TWO separate relays (1 for each side).

You'll also need a CANBUS adapter because the side you DO NOT hookup to the relay will think a headlight is out and turn that side's circuit off. So the light may come on but go out.

So you should have CANBUS adapters on both sides.

It's now Tuesday hasn't the vendor you bought from responded by now?

If you can provide us a photo/list of what you have that would also help
Vycor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycor View Post
Ehh that argument is old... newer HID kits can work just fine in reflector housings. As long as it's a good quality HID or LED kit you won't have issues.

When someone shows me pictures done the correct way, I will believe this. (level ground, 25' away from wall) While Im not a fan of led's at least they are making strides to be able to adjust them to get a "cutoff" to not cause glare. HID bulbs are what they are. Theres no adjusting them and a halogen housing is still designed for how a halogen bulb works. Granted there are a few vehicles that Im sure are not bad with pnp kit, the majority are.