Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2018 F150 LED questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 F150 LED questions

Hello,

New to the forums. Hopefully this hasn’t been covered but here goes. I have an 18 F150 XLT with the factory halogens. Well, simply put, the halogens suck so I went ahead and bought some LED’s off of Amazon that actually put out a pretty solid beam. Anyways, I had a feeling this was going to happen but I will occasionally get a little flicker. I did my homework and bought the canbus antiflicker harnesses. I haven’t put them in yet because I am having a little hiccup. For everyone that runs these modules, how do you put them in while maintaining the the dust covers? I bought the extended 83mm covers but I am doubtful that the canbus modules will fit behind them. Can anyone shed some insight on this if they have done it? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:31 AM
Banned

Received 515 Likes on 451 Posts

Well that's going to be an issue. Those canbus adapters you got are probably very big and won't fit with everything else. I'm also not shre what bulbs you got on amazon, but a lot of the bulbs on there are cheap junk.

Might be worth checking out.

Otherwise you want cap size 83mm to fit on the back of your housing

Last edited by ymeski56; 09-26-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: 4X4 Solicitation for sales scrubbed
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,216 Posts

First problem may be an mismatch between the LED/driver and the vehicles power supply system causing the flicker. Amazon is good for many items, but integrating and assembling matching led bulb/driver into particular year and make vehicles is not something Amazon does.
One of the best reasons to buy LED replacement bulbs from a dealer who has tested the combinations, make recommendations and backs up the purchase. Yes it's more expensive but they match parts and test in specific vehicles to save you time and such trouble.

You have the bulbs and then obtained an adapter to fix a problem. Do the adapters work? If so it's up to you to figure the installation. Did you try to fit it all inside the housing? If not your stuck cutting the boots to pass wiring and install what does not fit outside the housing. KM
Old 03-26-2019, 06:42 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

So the led bulbs off the interweb don't work properly on the regular 12 volt system and halogen housing set up...hmmm
Old 03-26-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCornballer
But what he’s saying is true. A lot of amazon products are garbage. Lots of people on this forum have vouched for the performance of Crystalux
He didn't buy them FROM Amazon, he bought them OFF of Amazon. Amazon is a big time third party seller! Its no different than buying them from XYZ company!
You gotta do your homework! Besides...100% of led bulbs for halogen housings are just that...garbage!

I don't know why so many people buy led bulbs, crap or not then stuff them into halogen housings then complain about them!

You want LED headlights? buy the proper aftermarket units with proper housings or do what I did...buy a truck with the 502a package.

Last edited by Stu Cazzo; 03-26-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu Cazzo
He didn't buy them FROM Amazon, he bought them OFF of Amazon. Amazon is a big time third party seller! Its no different than buying them from XYZ company!
You gotta do your homework!

I don't know why so many people buy led bulbs, crap or not then stuff them into halogen housings then complain about them!

You want LED headlights? buy the proper aftermarket units with proper housings or do what I did...buy a truck with the 502a package.
I agree with you there. No one wants to drive In front of you at night with LEDs in halogen housings
Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Lots of poor incandescent lights improperly installed or aimed, blind drivers also.
A well designed, installed, aimed LED works very well. The factory reflector does not care what type of light is in it, but does need specific placement of the filament or source. KM
Old 03-28-2019, 09:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are several threads in the 15+ section that contain actual helpful information.

Quick Reply: 2018 F150 LED questions