Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When are Air Bags the right solution/addition

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When are Air Bags the right solution/addition

Hi everyone, I posted earlier about towing with my lifted 2016 F150. I’m still working on getting the WDH setup properly and weighing the truck and trailer.

My question is when are air bags the proper solution? From what I’m reading it almost seems like never. A properly setup WDH seems to be what everyone relies on.

With my 4” bds lift, I could feel the extra play in the suspension. I was thinking to add air bags to firm up the rear suspension to reduce bounce and play within the suspension.

Looking this up on google it seems air bags are a common solution. But after reading this forum, I’m not sure. I want to keep my family as safe as possible but buying a new truck and/or TT is not an option at this time.

Truck is a 2016 F150 3.5L eco boost with a 4” BDS lift.
Tailer is a Mallard M32 with a dry weight around 6700lbs.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

They absolutely can be the right tool for the job. I used to tow a 33' Keystone Cougar TT with a Ford Excursion. My WDH could not fix the sag in the rear end. Air bags fixed it. I put Rancho 9000s in the back end and that helped but didn't fix the situation.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Air bags or other suspension modifications CAN help the truck ride better when loaded near max, but they don't increase how much you can carry.. The problem is that they encourage people to overload their trucks. If the rear end of a truck is sagging that is a visual cue that you're overloaded. Modify the truck and you could be over loaded and still sitting level. There is more to it than beefing up the rear suspension. The more weight on the rear wheels, the less weight proportionally on the front. The ones that do all of the steering and about 75% of the braking. Just because you're sitting level and no longer bouncing doesn't mean performance isn't compromised.

Throw in a 4" lift and that just complicates things even more.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Overload air springs (also called air bags) DO NOT increase payload capacity or GVWR.

The primary legitimate purpose of air bags is to raise the rear end (and lower the front end) of an overloaded truck so the headlights don't aim at the stars and blind oncoming drivers.

Air bags are rarely needed to bring the headlights back down to earth if the pickup with stock suspension is not overloaded over the GVWR or payload capacity of the pickup. If the pickup is not overloaded, a good weight-distributing hitch (WDH) of the proper weight rating is usually all you need to safely tow your wet and loaded trailer at night. That may be an extra benefit of air bags for your truck.

But with an overloaded tow vehicle, or modified suspension that is softer than standard, or in your case both, then trailer hitch weight will cause the headlights to aim at the stars, and air bags are the right solution to bring the headlights back down to earth.

I was thinking to add air bags to firm up the rear suspension to reduce bounce and play within the suspension.
That may be an additional benefit of adding overload air suspension.

Truck is a 2016 F150 3.5L eco boost with a 4” BDS lift.
Tailer is a Mallard M32 with a dry weight around 6700lbs.
With a normally loaded truck and trailer ready for camping, your hitch weight will be around 1,075 pounds, so you're probably overloaded with that trailer. So yep, you need a good WDH as well as overload air suspension.

Since your hitch weight is way over 500 pounds, you need a WDH. With a WDH properly installed and adjusted, you may still need to raise the front end of the truck a bit more to adjust the headlights. So in that case, you need air bags as well as the WDH. And your trailer must be level, front to rear. If your hitch doesn't have enough drop to result in a level trailer when all hooked up an adjusted, then you need a different adjustable shank with more drop..

You can easily check your weights with a CAT scale. With the wet and loaded trailer tied onto the wet and loaded truck, drive to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and fill up with gas. Then weigh the rig. Add the weights on the front and rear axles to get GVW, then compare GVW to the GVWR of the truck. If GVW exceeds GVWR, you're overloaded, and thus have a good excuse for adding air bags. You'll still be overloaded, but you won't look overloaded.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokeywren:
jlsoz (07-18-2019), Ricktwuhk (07-20-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Here is a very good explanation of the differences from Fastway Trailer

Airbags are great, but they are not a replacement for a weight-distribution hitch (WDH) like the e2. When installed properly, a weight distribution hitch has the following benefits:

1. It shifts weight to the front axle;
2. It reduces sag caused by the trailer’s tongue weight;
3. It provides more stability when encountering cross winds.

Like an airbag, a WDH will raise back of the tow vehicle, reducing some of the sag caused by the trailer’s tongue weight. But the way a WDH raises the rear of the truck is key – it uses torsion to shift a percentage of the tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle.
This is the key difference between a WDH and airbags. Without shifting some of the tongue weight to the front axle, you‘re likely to have problems in a fast stop or emergency maneuver. When you brake hard, the weight of the trailer shifts forward and pushes down on the hitch ball harder than normal, which causes the truck to lose front wheel traction. When that happens, you can lose steering and braking capacity.

A WDH resists the trailer’s nose-dive, and keeps the trailer’s tongue weight transferred forward. By using airbags instead of a WDH, in the same panic stop as above, the trailer weight will shift forward, pushing down on the hitch ball. The hitch will then push down on the rear of the truck. Since the airbags are resisting that downward force (at the axle), they become a pivot point, and the front end can get light very quickly. This can all be avoided by using the e2, which will help keep your front wheels on the ground, where they belong. And when you are passing semi-trailers or encountering crosswind, an airbag suspension system provides zero sway control.

With the e2 hitch, you have two points of sway control, in addition to weight-distribution, providing safety and security for both your trailer and the important cargo sitting on the front seat next to you.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just set mine up with WDH and airbags . running about 1100 tongue weight. Took a bit of time as I set it up both ways to verify weight transfer and measurements, but on my setup. I ended up 6-7 pounds in the bags just for stability and the WDH did the rest and put my front is within 1/2" to less of stock and I am not on the helper rear springs. trailer is within 1/2 level I will recheck everything it once I drive some and on flat ground. FYI with this psi in the bags,its about 1" of less rear ride height vs not using the airbags if you hook up without the WDH. I did get it setup within spec without the airbags, but wanted them for some stability. If I tried to run a bunch more air like 15-20 pounds, it would just counter act the WDH big time. 40lbs per 1 psi doesnt take much. I plan on a maiden voyage this week covering about 1200 miles and will see how it is.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

They are good if your truck is leveled. Or if you haul a lot rather than tow.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:17 AM

Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts

@SixShooter14 , do you mean good to encourage people to haul more than the rated payload ?
Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

After you bought the trailer and realize it’s tongue weight is too much for the truck to handle.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:25 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Or for some guys in my situation, with a DRW F350 they are supposed to make it ride better while towing, by keeping you out of the overload spring. The truck rides pretty stiff once the overload springs are engaged. Even being within all limits, once that spring is engaged she gets pretty stiff on bigger bumps. I have not installed any yet, have been thinking about it. Might try Roadmaster RAS first.

Quick Reply: When are Air Bags the right solution/addition