Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will allow me to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will allow me to do this?

I am for the 1st time going to use my 97 f150 to plow this upcoming winter. It was suggested I get heavy duty torsion bars and it makes sense. I did completely redo the entire front end 4 months ago and bought new torsion bar keys to lift front a little if the Meyers ez plow is kinda heavy but as of now they are completely open. As it sits now the front is just a little higher than the back. I would (without spending a fortune) like to lift the back 3". Can I put f 250 leaf or 350 leaf springs on it and would that work instead of using blocks? In the case the plow weighs the front down ill close the keys accordingly.
Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Bens F150
Can I put f 250 leaf or 350 leaf springs on it and would that work instead of using blocks?

F-350, no. F-250 Heavy duty, no. F-250 LD (light-duty), probably.

The F-250 Heavy Duty (HD) and the F-350 rear springs are a different width and length than the F-150/F-250LD rear springs. (The F-250LD body looks like your F-150, but has heavier suspension and tires. F-150 rear leafs max out at 3.550 pounds @ground, but the F-250LD rear springs are 4,800 pounds @ground, and are the same 58.5" length and 2.5" widths as your stock F-150 springs.

But I wouldn't even try to install F-250LD rear springs. Instead go to any decent spring shop and tell them to install whatever leafs are necessary to give you the lift you want.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I don't even know you yet I feel I got the credible answer and solution I was looking for. I had considered going there and doing that BUT I was hoping perhaps there was a solution I can provide at home BUT not this time. Ok, I know just the shop to go too also. So a leaf or 2 on each side and I guess new clamps that hold them together would also be nice. So, you would rule out lift blocks or shackles if it was you? Always looking for the most convenient solutions but sometimes it doesn't work out like that. Ill let you know how it turns out. Dammit I may as well have them put 2 more Ranchos on while they are down there.