Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question

I absolutely know that you can't have too much TV. I currently have a Keystone Passport 238ml which is 25'. I use a WDH and pull it with ease. I have to load my generator and Ducati 1098s in the bed of my truck for track days. my wife desires slide outs and more room. I desire a toy haulerish design where the bike can go in the TH.

I found this Palomino Puma Unleashed 30thss which seems to meet all our needs. it is longer. it is heavier. the tongue weight is more. I have a 2015 6.5' bed 3.5eb with MaxTow. I believe my payload is 2070lb and my max pull is 11200. I have no plans to put 3500lb in this trailer for weight. at most 2 dirt bikes fuel food etc. not 3500lb.
I also have AirLift airbags for perfect leveling in load

so.... flame on but do you think this is too much for the f150?
Attached Thumbnails YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question-screenshot_2015-06-06-11-24-31.png  
Old 06-06-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Agro
...I have a 2015 6.5' bed 3.5eb with MaxTow. I believe my payload is 2070lb and my max pull is 11200.
Huh??? You should know EXACTLY what your payload capacity is - it's on the sticker on your driver's side door!! Well...at least that will be the payload capacity as your truck came off the assembly line, except that it includes a full tank of gas. If you've added a bed liner, tonneau cover, etc., subtract their weights from the published payload capacity. Then subtract the weights of all the people and stuff you'll be carrying in the cab and bed before you hook up the trailer to see if you've got enough payload capacity left to carry the tongue weight of the trailer.

Better yet - load up the truck as it will be when towing, take it to your local CAT scales, then you'll know exactly how much payload capacity remains for your WDH head and tongue weight of the trailer.

And....I don't know where you got that 11200 number - I don't see that in any of the 2015 specs. Any "max trailer weight" number you see published in towing guides or brochures is a mythical B.S. number and you can fergidaboudit!!!

I have no plans to put 3500lb in this trailer for weight. at most 2 dirt bikes fuel food etc. not 3500lb.

...do you think this is too much for the f150?
You may not have "plans", but trailers have a way, after a few trips, of inching up toward their GVWR.

I bet the empty weight of that trailer with slides and options you might get will be a bit heavier than their sales brochure number.

I also would bet that the first time you tow that trailer it will weigh around 9000 lbs, and just go up after that as you add more comfort and convenience stuff to what you carry in it.

I would imagine it would have around a 1200 lb tongue weight.

The good news there is: 1) Toy Haulers generally will lighten up the empty tongue weight as you load your toys in the bay in the rear of the trailer; and 2) the hitch on the 2015 F150 is rated for a max tongue weight of 1220 lbs.

Bottom line - that's a big heavy trailer, but could very well be doable if you do indeed have a 1 Ton payload capacity.

Let us know what your truck's actual payload capacity really is, along with your GVWR - and the rear GAWR may well be a limiting factor with the tongue weight that trailer will have. Also, how 'bout the complete configuration of your truck - what cab, 4x2/4x4, etc.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 06-06-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I have a 2015 6.5' bed 3.5eb with MaxTow. I believe my payload is 2070lb and my max pull is 11200.... do you think this is too much for the f150?

The toy hauler has a hitch weight of 15.6%. Expect a minimum of 15% tongue weight when wet and loaded for the road.

The trailer's GVWR is 10,879, and you should be able to keep the gross trailer weight down to 9,000 pounds if you pay close attention to the things Sweetheart wants to add to the trailer weight. At 9,000 pounds trailer weight at 15% tongue weight, that's 1,350 pounds tongue weight.

So payload of 2070 minus tongue weight of 1,350 pounds and minus another 50 pounds for the WD hitch head leaves 670 pounds for driver, passengers, tools, jacks, campfire wood, options such a bed liner or cap, and any other weight you haul in the truck. That's a tight fit, and only if you can keep the gross trailer weight down to 9,000 pounds.

My bet is you'll be overloaded by the middle of your third RV trip.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-06-2015 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking that since the toys go behind the axles by a decent distance, that any weight you put in the rear of the trailer will in-turn reduce a measurable amount of weight on the hitch. If the axle was exactly center and you put 1,000lbs in the rear, it would reduce the weight by 500lbs in the front. It isn't exactly in the center of course, and much further back, but if I put 800lbs in the rear, I would have to think it has to do *something* for the tongue weight, say 100lbs or 150lbs less? Just grasping at straws here, right?

Looking at Ford's site, I am not sure if I have towing capacity of 10,700 or 11,700. I have the F-150, SuperCrew, 156.8 wheel base (6.5' bed), 4x4, MaxTow. No toneau cover or anything else other than standard junk in the vehicles compartments.

The sticker inside the truck shows now more than 1631 of payload. That assumes 36 gallons at 8.33lbs per gallon, so 300lbs in gas, only comes to 1931 payload, so not sure if the site is right, or the door, or WTF is up.

If I assumed 1200lb tongue and 1631 max payload, nothing in the bed, then that only leaves me 431lbs in the cab. Pretty tough to do with me, my 13yo, my 8mo, and my dog and no gear.

Even if using a great WDH I suppose this all still applies, right?
Attached Thumbnails YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question-towing.jpg   YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question-payload.jpg   YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question-sticker.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
So payload of 2070 minus tongue weight of 1,350 pounds and minus another 50 pounds for the WD hitch head leaves 670 pounds for driver, passengers, tools, jacks, campfire wood, options such a bed liner or cap, and any other weight you haul in the truck.

Because your payload is 1631 and not 2070, that results in a different answer. 1631 minus 1,350 tongue weight leaves only 281 pounds for you and everybody and everything in the pickup. You're going to be overloaded, probably severely overloaded.

My F-150 has payload of 1,366, and I'm overloaded with hitch weight of 650 pounds.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (06-07-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 10:20 AM

The site numbers are correct - for a truck with absolutely NO options!!

Like smokeywren says, the payload capacity of YOUR truck is way less than that published in the "sales" guides/brochures (or online site specs).

Those numbers published in the "sales" guides are stripped down/zero options trucks. YOUR truck has a nice load of comfort/convenience options that significantly reduces the payload capacity.

Likewise, those published "max trailer weight" numbers are mythical B.S. numbers that allow you to compare a stripped down F150 to stripped down models from other manufacturers. A real world truck IS NOT ABLE TO TOW "SALES" BROCHURE WEIGHTS!!!

You can see that the REAL weight that determines how much a truck can tow is generally the PAYLOAD CAPACITY!!

As you can see with your 1631 lb payload capacity, after you load the cab and bed with the stuff you want to carry in the truck when towing, the remaining payload capacity may not leave a whole lot of weight to handle your WDH head and the tongue weight of a heavy trailer.

Bottom line - like smokey says, you'll probably be way overloaded with that large Toy Hauler you're looking at.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 AM

stupid question so please just bear with me... if I have the WDH cranked down solid and it weighs 60lb doesnt the WDH help with the tongue weight?

I was thinking I wouldn't put a single thing in the bed. but yes I wish I had an f250...
Old 06-07-2015, 12:51 PM

...doesnt the WDH help with the tongue weight?...

It doesn't reduce the tongue weight, but it does "distribute" it.

When setting up and adjusting the WDH you generally will measure the height of the front fender before hooking up the trailer, then after hooking up but without the WDH - subtract to find the amount the tongue weight raised up the front end.

The F150 Owner's Manual says to hook up your WDH bars in order to reduce the difference by 50%, but most of us like to reduce the front fender height down to just about where it was without the trailer hooked up.

The WDH will redistribute the tongue weight - about 20% forward to the front axle, and about 20% back to the trailer axles.

Without a WDH you really load up the rear axle. Many people like to use airbags to level the truck, but they don't redistribute the tongue weight - they can level the truck, but don't change the load on the rear axle.

You really need to take your whole rig to your local CAT scales to weigh before hooking up, with the trailer hooked up without the WDH bars attached, and with the WDH attached - that way you will know what the load on the truck axles and trailer axles really is.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 06-07-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:02 AM

Problem solved. For sure.
Lariat fully loaded.
Attached Thumbnails YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question-img_20150704_074227.jpg  
Old 07-04-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice.........Now you can change your sig

Quick Reply: YATQ - Yet Another Tow Question