Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is included in the trailer tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is included in the trailer tow package?

2017 model with trailer towing package. Does this package include a trailer brake control switch?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Nope, that is a separate item. Max Tow package however does include it along with the 36 gallon tank and 3.55 Elocker axle. You basically get an upgraded receiver for 1100 WDH TW, better cooling and upgraded suspension components, but the ITBC is a standalone option.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:10 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

there's a regular factory tow package and the Max Tow package.
for the regular one, BC is an aftermarket purchase and installation.
for the Max Tow, BC is an integrated Ford controller.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by bikendan
there's a regular factory tow package and the Max Tow package.
for the regular one, BC is an aftermarket purchase and installation.
for the Max Tow, BC is an integrated Ford controller.
Correct, and the integrated Ford controller on mine with regular tow package was $250, installed in about 30 minutes while we did the paperwork. Well worth it, with the trailer brake force displayed on the dash when activated.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by doityourself62
2017 model with trailer towing package. Does this package include a trailer brake control switch?
For your 2017 F-150, the regular tow package does not include the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). But it's available from several different Ford discount parts dealers. Here's one source:

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...0wbC12OC1mbGV4

The ITBC is pretty much plug and play, but after you get it installed, then you have to use Forscan to activate it, or else any Ford service department can activate it.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
For your 2017 F-150, the regular tow package does not include the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC). But it's available from several different Ford discount parts dealers. Here's one source:

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...0wbC12OC1mbGV4

The ITBC is pretty much plug and play, but after you get it installed, then you have to use Forscan to activate it, or else any Ford service department can activate it.
As a clarification, it doesn't have to be aftermarket or a dealer install - my 2017 XLT had both the ITBC and pro trailer backup assist as options straight from the factory (along with the standard tow package):

Last edited by MidLifeinMI; 07-31-2018 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added pic of sticker
Old 07-31-2018, 01:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI
As a clarification, it doesn't have to be aftermarket or a dealer install - my 2017 XLT had both the ITBC and pro trailer backup assist as options straight from the factory
Yes. Key word "options". But the ITBC was not included on doityourself62's F-150 as a factory option, so he needs to add it.

(along with the standard tow package):
You may call me a nitpicker for attempting to add clarity, but you mean the "regular" tow package that Ford calls the heavy duty tow pkg, and on your window sticker it
is called simply the Trailer Tow Package. It wasn't standard equipment, as your window sticker shows it was an $895 MSRP option.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-31-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Ford clearly has not made this confusing enough for such basic features. They should just break it down into like 5 packages:
  • Tow
  • Mega Tow
  • Max Tow
  • HD Tow
  • Super Max HD Tow
Then add optional features for each of those as well.
Then everyone should all be evenly confused at this nonsense.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:42 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

It's bad enough they claim 13,200 pounds towing, then in fine print there is only one model and trim that can do that. All the rest are at least 2K or more under that. Vast majority of them are between 7 and 8K tops.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
It's bad enough they claim 13,200 pounds towing, then in fine print there is only one model and trim that can do that. All the rest are at least 2K or more under that. Vast majority of them are between 7 and 8K tops.
All companies do that for all products. I always laugh when I hear on the radio "Get a new 2018 F-150 for only $100 bi-weekly!"

Yeah, if you get the base XL model RegCab shortbox with absolutely no options and you need to supply your own tires... Not only that, but they never happen to have the cheapest model available on their lots, which is so weird... Yes I called a dealer and asked them about the ad on the radio just because, and they said they had none of those in stock but I should come in and look at options lol lame...

Same goes with shopping for tires. They always advertise the price for the smallest and cheapest size it comes in. An actual usable truck tire in the right size is usually twice the advertised price. Who's gonna put wheelbarrow-sized Duratracs on a Toyota Tercel ya dumb gits???

Quick Reply: what is included in the trailer tow package?