Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight carrying capacity determination

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:46 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Weight carrying capacity determination

It appears as though with either the Trailer Tow Package (53A) or the Max Trailer Tow Package (53C) on a 2018 truck, the carrying capacity without a WDH is 500# max tongue weight and 5000# max gross trailer weight.

Is this capacity a function of the hitch itself or a function of the vehicle (or both)?

In other words, will an aftermarket hitch with a greater max carrying rating actually give more tongue and gross weight capacity or is carrying capacity limited by the geometry of the truck?

(I realize that the bumper support is a component of the hitch and would need to be changed to facilitate installation of an after market hitch.)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 348 Likes on 243 Posts

I believe Ford provides that limit to prevent unloading the steer axle to the point where steering and braking are inadequate for use on a public roadway.

There's a video out there somewhere of an overloaded truck doing a wheelie because the road geometry changed and the trailer was too heavy, which is what would ultimately happen given enough weight.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

In short to what kb already said, it's geometry.

The higher (WD) rating is the physical capacity rating of the hitch.
The lower rating keeps enough weight on the front wheels to handle properly and safely.

They both have different purposes.

If you're installing aftermarket hitch/bumpers, you should take into account any extra weight those will add to the rear, and also ensure the receiver is not much further rearward. Otherwise many things change.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 09-06-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The longer the wheel base, the less the front end goes up also. Throw that into the mix lol
Old 09-06-2018, 07:15 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Regardless of what the hitch is rated at, you are still limited to the payload.
The following users liked this post:
Simnut (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

500 pounds is not a structural limit. This is obvious from reading Ford’s WDH set up procedure. That said, it’s easy and cheap to set up a WDH. So if you might be over 500 pounds tongue weight you might as well. For a trailer that could be safely towed with a WC hitch, an inexpensive WDH is fine. With all the people out there that are upgrading to the best hitches (pro-ride etc.). There must be lots of used inexpensive WDH available.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

I’ll add that the highest rated aftermarket WCH rating is on a receiver from Curt and is rated 1,000 WC and 1,200 WD. There is no guarantee that this hitch is actually stronger for WC than the factory hitch. And for similar money you can set up WDH and have even more tongue weight capacity. I thought about the Curt but in the end setting up WDH is the best option because it covers your bases from a litigation stand point should something go wrong. The SAE ratings are in the Ford town guide. Regardless of how artificially low the WC ratings are for longer heavier F-150s, those are the ratings. Anything beyond them isn’t backed by Ford.

I’ve towed some very heavy weights WC with no issues. Anything that keeps you within GVWR and GAWR isn’t going to hurt this receiver with a short shank WC hitch. It’s more a potential liability thing.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:50 PM

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Neither payload or tongue weight are a problem. Got plenty of payload (2000# plus) and a light (360#) tongue weight. It is the 5000# max gross trailer weight that is catching me. My boat and pole-tongue trailer with surge brakes are pushing, or slightly over, 6000#. Just looking for more non-WDH trailer weight capacity. None of the affordable weight distribution hitches I have researched seem to be an appropriate fit or have appropriate functionality. An aftermarket hitch/receiver, if it would give more non-WDH gross trailer capacity, would be a more economical option even with replacing the bumper support.
The following users liked this post:
Rubyride17 (09-08-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:33 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

It won't give you more non-WDH capacity.
Even if you're under 500lb tongue weight, once you hit a certain weight, like that 5000 lb non-WDH limit, then any acceleration needs more power. Giving it more gas pulls just fine, but in a RWD truck, it causes the front end to raise up like popping a wheelie. No you probably won't actually lift the front wheels off the ground but you're unloading the front suspension a lot which will affect your steering and handling.

Hitting bumps, swerving, braking hard etc can also make that heavy weight behind you act unpredictably and change the vertical angle of the hitch too much, causing further instability. Going over train tracks or hitting a good bump and also cause bad bouncing that might take too much weight off of the front and/or rear wheels, kind of like swaying out of control except vertically instead of side-to-side. So you can think of the WDH as being like a swaybar, but for vertical instead of horizontal oscillations.

I've also heard (but the geometry on this is puzzling) that if you end up swerving and your truck turns a bit too much like a semi-jackknife while moving, a WDH will help prevent your truck and trailer from wanting to roll with the trailer weight pushing your back end. Sort of makes sense but I'm not sure the bars have enough pressure on them to prevent this, entirely possible though.

So the benefits of the WDH are a level and smoother ride overall, as well as ensuring that all 4 truck wheels stay "on the ground" with adequate weights on them at all times.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 09-07-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 702 Likes on 505 Posts

Guys are going to hate me for this....

Everyone with a 5000+ lb boat just ignores it.

The same way I ignored the 10% Tongue Weight minimum with my 3500 lb boat trailer with 70 lb of tongue weight.

The majority of boat trailers are not designed to be WDH safe.

Quick Reply: Weight carrying capacity determination