Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WDH Question - Using overrated bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts
Default WDH Question - Using overrated bars

My TT came with bars that are too small for it. Not sure why the dealer set the prior owner up with them. It's a Swaypro with 750 bars. I'm on the fence of going to 1k or 1.5k bars. My TT GVWR is just over 1k on the tongue at 13%.(and no, I havent scaled it yet.) I was considering using 1.5k bars since i would be over max of 1k bars at GVWR. I dont feel like investing in two sets of bars for trial and error purposes. In doing my research, i found someone who stated that using bars rated higher than your hitch receiver can cause damage to the receiver/truck frame, since the weaker receiver now becomes the flex point. On the surface it makes some sense. Anyone have info on this or can point me in the direction of science related literature about this? I'm not keen on taking one post from the internet as fact. My hitch is rated at 1220lbs from the factory with a WDH.

On a semi-unrelated note, has anyone had experience with the Swaypro vs Equalizer E4? I have an E4 in the garage with 1k bars, but since the trailer came with the Swaypro, I haven't bothered setting it up. The Swaypro is quite simple to connect. I bought the E4 before I found a trailer with a hitch setup.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Got the BO Sway pro on a 8.5x18 ` 6300 fully loaded for bbq, and a Keystone Passport 25' `4K unloaded-6K max. 1,000lb bars on both. at no point have I ever thought the bars were too stiff. Id lean 1500 bars IMO
Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

I got 1500 bars with my Blue Ox, one because they were less expensive, and two, my hitch weight was right at 1000 pounds. I replaced 800 pound bars with the BO, and it made a huge difference. If your hitch weight is less than 900 pounds though, they could be difficult to dial in.

Note: hitch weight vs tongue weight. This is the weight on the receiver itself, not just the weight on the ball.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Received 1,330 Likes on 797 Posts

If you call the manufacturer or Etrailer they can tell you the full range of the bars. The ads only show the max, but they have a low limit too. IMO, better to have a bit too little WD than too much. Not such a big deal with a TT, but on a trailer that has a large payload and runs empty too it can be an issue.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:16 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

If you do determine your actual tongue weight to be near 1000# as you suspect you could get 1200# bars for the Equalizer hitch. I realize it involves setting it up but from the sounds of it you are taking it on faith the Swaypro hitch is plug and play.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Sway Pro is pretty much that. Ball height and links. Once the ball height is set, the only other adjustment is the number of links to get the front fenders down. No shims needed for setting ball angle.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The Swaypro has worked. It leveled the truck out on 9 links. It's pretty straight forward. He towed with it with his 250. I just adjusted the ball heoght when I bought the trailer and measured the fender until I found the right amount of links. Theres just no more room on the bars/chin, and that was with an empty trailer. I'd like the trailer and truck to be tied together a bit more than the current feel, especially once I'm done getting it stocked. I just had never heard the "flex the receiver instead of bars" argument before this once.

Trending Topics

Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Get the 1500lb bars. Once you’re over 1000 you risk damaging the lighter setup.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 87 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TellyDSP
My TT came with bars that are too small for it. Not sure why the dealer set the prior owner up with them. It's a Swaypro with 750 bars. I'm on the fence of going to 1k or 1.5k bars. My TT GVWR is just over 1k on the tongue at 13%.(and no, I havent scaled it yet.) I was considering using 1.5k bars since i would be over max of 1k bars at GVWR. I dont feel like investing in two sets of bars for trial and error purposes. In doing my research, i found someone who stated that using bars rated higher than your hitch receiver can cause damage to the receiver/truck frame, since the weaker receiver now becomes the flex point. On the surface it makes some sense. Anyone have info on this or can point me in the direction of science related literature about this? I'm not keen on taking one post from the internet as fact. My hitch is rated at 1220lbs from the factory with a WDH.

On a semi-unrelated note, has anyone had experience with the Swaypro vs Equalizer E4? I have an E4 in the garage with 1k bars, but since the trailer came with the Swaypro, I haven't bothered setting it up. The Swaypro is quite simple to connect. I bought the E4 before I found a trailer with a hitch setup.
My 37 ft, 8,400 lbs dry, 9,900 lbs max trailer has a dry tongue weight of 1,075 lbs, but that doesn't include the second a/c and other typical add on up front.

I have the 1,500 lbs Blue Ox that I lash up with four links showing, and that gives me a nice bow/arch on the bars. I can't compare the BO to anything else, and I'm not sure whether the BO is responsible for my stable trailer, or the Goodyear Endurance, or a combination of both in controlling sway or any movement.

My truck has a 1,320lbs WD tongue ratings, and I bet I'm close to that...getting a 2,000lbs tongue scale next week.

Last edited by Maury82; 03-29-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:01 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

Get the higher rated 1500 bars and if need be just use less links in the chain on either side.

Quick Reply: WDH Question - Using overrated bars