Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used trailer help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Forks your lift

Received 105 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Used trailer help

Any of you fellers know of a used cargo trailer search engine site?

I am in michigan and I am looking for an enclosed cargo trailer, used, or new for a good price.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Have you tried eBay? I searched for "enclosed cargo trailer Pre-Owned" within 200 miles of zip code 48205 (Detroit) and had about 15 hits for trailers plus additional hits for parts.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...Owned&_sacat=0

If you omit the term "pre-owned" you'll get dozens of hits on new trailers for sale by dealers.

Last edited by smokeywren; 12-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Apples (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Forks your lift

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Have you tried eBay? I searched for "enclosed cargo trailer Pre-Owned" within 200 miles of zip code 48205 (Detroit) and had about 15 hits for trailers plus additional hits for parts.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...Owned&_sacat=0

If you omit the term "pre-owned" you'll get dozens of hits on new trailers for sale by dealers.
i have never purchased something of that caliber on ebay and didn't know how much of hassle it would be or not (having minimum bids etc). Tried craigslist but that is a headache. Most do not post enough photos, or info, or both to even know anything about the trailer other than how many axles, and the color
Old 12-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4BullDog
i have never purchased something of that caliber on ebay and didn't know how much of hassle it would be or not (having minimum bids etc).

Look at the ads for a "buy it now" price and skip all that bidding hassle.

Tried craigslist but that is a headache. Most do not post enough photos, or info, or both to even know anything about the trailer other than how many axles, and the color
I bought my 7x14 cargo trailer from Craig's List. The ad in Craig's List had enough info that I wanted to find our more, so I contacted the seller. I forget now (that was a few years ago) how we communicated, but it was done over e-mail or land line. Tandem axle, 7,000 pounds GVWR. Premium quality trailer with TorFlex axles and set up for hauling motorcycles. It was bought used by a GI that was doing a DIY move from an Army post back east to the Army post at Kileen, TX. I had to drive over 300 miles to Kileen to get it, but the price was right and it was a pleasant road trip.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Forks your lift

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Look at the ads for a "buy it now" price and skip all that bidding hassle.

I bought my 7x14 cargo trailer from Craig's List. The ad in Craig's List had enough info that I wanted to find our more, so I contacted the seller. I forget now (that was a few years ago) how we communicated, but it was done over e-mail or land line. Tandem axle, 7,000 pounds GVWR. Premium quality trailer with TorFlex axles and set up for hauling motorcycles. It was bought used by a GI that was doing a DIY move from an Army post back east to the Army post at Kileen, TX. I had to drive over 300 miles to Kileen to get it, but the price was right and it was a pleasant road trip.
thats the type of deal i am looking for. I don't mind driving a little bit, but the price i was given by a dealer for a "new" 2016 left over seemed high to me (on sale for $5100.. V-Nose 8.5x17 tandem axle) for something that is still almost 2 years old
Old 12-04-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 273 Likes on 167 Posts

Trailers are more often then not neglected on tire and wheel-hub maintenance....especially if planning to sell.

Price may be great in spite of the irregular bulges on tires, and scary amount of wheel hub play.

Now you gotta trailer that thing home.......as is.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Forks your lift

Originally Posted by Blackbuzzard
Trailers are more often then not neglected on tire and wheel-hub maintenance....especially if planning to sell.

Price may be great in spite of the irregular bulges on tires, and scary amount of wheel hub play.

Now you gotta trailer that thing home.......as is.

Good luck.
oh i know. those are things i also will look at very closely
Old 12-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4BullDog
i have never purchased something of that caliber on ebay and didn't know how much of hassle it would be or not (having minimum bids etc). Tried craigslist but that is a headache. Most do not post enough photos, or info, or both to even know anything about the trailer other than how many axles, and the color
eBay or Craigslist can be utilized. I’ve actually purchased vehicles on eBay over 2000 miles away. Made a verbal commitment to the seller to pay for a certified inspection. Upon receipt of the inspection I did a buy it now. Flew from Seattle to Minneapolis with a round trip ticket (in case not as advertised) and cashiers check (bank owned payoff). Did a visual inspection and drive the car prior to completion of purchase. Then drove the car home.
I have also bought locally using “nearest first” on eBay. Many times you want to communicate with the buyer to assure yourself the property is as advertised.
With Craigslist you do these same things. Just that communication may be slightly different. Maybe text, or phone call vs email. Obviously you can get burned on any deal so make sure it’s what you want. As with anything, before or after inspection you can almost always negotiate price without even actually seeing the item- all depends on whether the item is in high demand.
Good luck.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Do yourself and all trailer owners a favor and run a VIN check before you pay for any used trailer. Trailer theft is rampant around here.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Just use one of the myriad of C/L search engines that search multiple C/L sites. Goggle will get you there.