Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Bouncing When Pulling Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Truck Bouncing When Pulling Trailer

Just set up my WDH for my new truck, 5.0 3.55 6.5'

Have the ball and coupler height close to the same as possible, ball is a bit higher, but shank drop is maxed out. Truck squatted about 1" in the back and raised little less than 1/2" in the front. I hooked up the spring bars to the second loop which brought the back up about 1/2" and the front down about 1/4". Trailer is level when hooked up.

Camper is 2886# dry and tongue weight is listed as 320#

Took it on a test drive last night and noticed the back of the truck bounced a lot.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

That's a light load, try removing the spring bars.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I've got a camper that maxes out around 4,000 lbs loaded. I do not use a WDH and I get no bounce at all. I bet if you take your bars off you WDH it will eliminate the bounce since it is such a light trailer. Or maybe try pulling it with a full load of water? I know mine pulls better with a full load of water.

**edit**
I took another look at the picture and it appears that your bars are not at the correct tension either, they should be parallel with the ground.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Single axle trailers bounce like crazy too. Is the camper new to you as well?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
That's a light load, try removing the spring bars.
Originally Posted by spotdog14
I've got a camper that maxes out around 4,000 lbs loaded. I do not use a WDH and I get no bounce at all. I bet if you take your bars off you WDH it will eliminate the bounce since it is such a light trailer. Or maybe try pulling it with a full load of water? I know mine pulls better with a full load of water.

**edit**
I took another look at the picture and it appears that your bars are not at the correct tension either, they should be parallel with the ground.
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling the bars might be taking too much weight off of the tongue. I will take the trailer for another test drive without the bars. In that picture the bars are 1 ring looser than I ran on my previous vehicle. I feared that if I tightened them anymore on the truck that it would put the tongue too high since it didn't squat very much anyway.

Originally Posted by untraceable
Single axle trailers bounce like crazy too. Is the camper new to you as well?
Have had the camper for about a year now. My original tow vehicle was a wrangler unlimited. Never noticed much bounce with that vehicle, but it was basically maxed out and probably over payload anyway.

Last edited by GlenPxC; 05-16-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Like others said, too light in the rear, and that coupled with the crappy Ford OEM shocks(provided they are still the crappy Ford OEM shocks) make for a loose ride.

On my 14 with OEM shocks and the WDH setup correctly the tail of the truck would oscillate like a figure 8 pattern. I replaced the rears with Bilstiens and the truck settled in nicely.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem. But I think my camper maybe too heavy. I have 2015 Fx4, 3.5 eb. I pull a 2016 Jayco 28BHBE with a sticker weight of 6950. I don't pull with any water. I get on the hwy and I start bouncing up and down. I went to two camper dealers and both said this truck can tow this with no problem. It sits level when hooked up. I even installed Timbrens to help with the bounce. Nothing helps. Is the camper just too heavy for my truck?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFX4
I am having the same problem. But I think my camper maybe too heavy. I have 2015 Fx4, 3.5 eb. I pull a 2016 Jayco 28BHBE with a sticker weight of 6950. I don't pull with any water. I get on the hwy and I start bouncing up and down. I went to two camper dealers and both said this truck can tow this with no problem. It sits level when hooked up. I even installed Timbrens to help with the bounce. Nothing helps. Is the camper just too heavy for my truck?

You may have taken too much weight off the rear wheels. Try loosening up the weight bars a little bit. Or maybe add a bit of tongue weight by moving something around inside the trailer.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I pull a 33' Vibe with a 7400# dry weight on a 2017 FX4 V8 5.0 and 3.55 gears and I don't get any bounce. I have the sway bars set according to spec. Your truck should pull it just fine.

It looks like the front of your trailer is lower than the back. May need to adjust your hitch altogether.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

as above...I was gonna say...5.5 bed....looks like it need to be adjusted higher....my6.5 bed no problems with my setup...
Attached Images