Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Transmission slipping?

Hey guys, I have a 2013 5.0 6.5 bed supercrew 4x4 3:55 gears.

My problem is when pulling close to tow rating limit up hill, the truck will down shift all the way to 3rd and running mid range rpm to keep a constant speed, but will then act like it is about to shift (power loss) for about 2 seconds then come back to life. Ive asked before and never gotten a response. Im really concerned now that it happened when just driving dow the road with nothing but 5 other adults in the truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can't be the only one.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Running in 3rd, or even 2nd gear pulling heavy loads up inclines is perfectly normal. Personally I find the trucks to work better if I manually downshift BEFORE the truck starts to strain under a load.

Remember, 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears. 4th gear is the closest to the highest gear in old school trucks with 4 speed transmissions. It would be perfectly normal to drop down to 2nd gear pulling loads up inclines on those trucks. Having 6 speeds in your truck doesn't change that, those 2 extra gears just improve fuel mileage when unloaded on level roads.

Not saying there isn't something wrong with your truck, there may be. But I think you and your truck will be happier if you learn to read the road and manually downshift sooner.

One other thing. If you're pulling a trailer near the max tow rating you're probably overloading the truck. Those tow ratings are based on using an empty truck with no other cargo or passengers. Only a 150 lb driver. Realistically almost no truck will actually tow the amount it is rated for.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:37 AM
nathan3306

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

When was the last time you had the transmission serviced?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by marshallr
Running in 3rd, or even 2nd gear pulling heavy loads up inclines is perfectly normal. Personally I find the trucks to work better if I manually downshift BEFORE the truck starts to strain under a load.

Remember, 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears. 4th gear is the closest to the highest gear in old school trucks with 4 speed transmissions. It would be perfectly normal to drop down to 2nd gear pulling loads up inclines on those trucks. Having 6 speeds in your truck doesn't change that, those 2 extra gears just improve fuel mileage when unloaded on level roads.

Not saying there isn't something wrong with your truck, there may be. But I think you and your truck will be happier if you learn to read the road and manually downshift sooner.

One other thing. If you're pulling a trailer near the max tow rating you're probably overloading the truck. Those tow ratings are based on using an empty truck with no other cargo or passengers. Only a 150 lb driver. Realistically almost no truck will actually tow the amount it is rated for.

When I calculate the weight it is based off all passengers, trailer, cargo weight, I even factor in the gas. Not saying I'm a pro hauler but I know more than enough to be safe for myself, others, and my truck and cargo.

But my problem isn't that it's pulling in 3rd it's that it losses power temporarily after being a mid range rpm for more than a few seconds. (Ive only ever noticed this in 3rd). It's almost like it engages a clutch to make these stupid smooth shifts and decides not to.

Never had the transmission serviced, truck has 93,000 miles and never had a problem without a load until this weekend.

Last edited by GeorgiaMike; 06-17-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaMike
When I calculate the weight it is based off all passengers, trailer, cargo weight, I even factor in the gas. Not saying I'm a pro hauler but I know more than enough to be safe for myself, others, and my truck and cargo.

But my problem isn't that it's pulling in 3rd it's that it losses power temporarily after being a mid range rpm for more than a few seconds. (Ive only ever noticed this in 3rd). It's almost like it engages a clutch to make these stupid smooth shifts and decides not to.

Never had the transmission serviced, truck has 93,000 miles and never had a problem without a load until this weekend.
Are you positive one or more temperatures are not getting to high? I have little trouble hitting the engine coolant cutoff temp with just a "dinky" 5500 lb travel trailer. I did last weekend when it was 85F outside lol.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by mass-hole
Are you positive one or more temperatures are not getting to high? I have little trouble hitting the engine coolant cutoff temp with just a "dinky" 5500 lb travel trailer. I did last weekend when it was 85F outside lol.
All temps were in their normal range, it was about 85F where I was hauling. Transmission temp has never been north of 212F, coolant gauge staying right in the middle along with oil pressure. My truck is rated for 7900 pounds and I keep the weight below 7K.

Truck fell out of warranty in December and I'm afraid to crack open the transmission to see if there is anything floating around, and certainly don't want to pay the dealer to rape my pockets for something they will say they can't replicate or is 'normal'.

I appreciate y'all brainstorming with me on this and hope we can figure out something. Ive never had anything like this before and this is my newest vehicle I've owned.

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping?