Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer CCC too low??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer CCC too low??

We have finally decided on a trailer for our 2016 F150 (3.6 EB, SCREW, 4x4, 6.5') a Coachmen Freedom Express 276 RKDSLE.

The yellow cargo sticker indicates a maximum of 1084 lbs for the trailer.

This doesn't seem overly high. If you add a few 100 lbs of gear, a few people (500 lbs), a dog (100 lbs) and a site that doesn't provide full service (my grey and waste tanks could add 800 lbs if full) plus a little fresh water (400 lbs) and I'm way, way over.

Most of the trailers we have looked at seems to have "published" CCCs of ~ 1400 (which always are lower once the vehicle has been outfitted.

Am I missing something??
Old 03-28-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

People and dog won't be in the trailer when travelling. So they don't count.
Still pretty low though.
We easily pack over 1000# not counting water/waste. But we're snowbirds so pack heavy.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by brulaz
People and dog won't be in the trailer when travelling. So they don't count.
Still pretty low though.
We easily pack over 1000# not counting water/waste. But we're snowbirds so pack heavy.
I knew the people & dog won't be in there while it was being pulled, just wasn't sure if the "extra" weight matted while it was sitting and if the jacks and suspension would hold.

Obviously there is the possibility of it having to be moved to dumping station with tanks loaded, but this would be a short trip.

Yesh - what to do??
Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

That CCC is WAY low. Don't buy it. You WILL exceed that CCC.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM

I called the manufacture... they said it was more about towing than "camping" and also suggested to weigh everything on a scale to know for sure... great idea but I'm not in possession of the trailer yet.

Manufacture also said to consider my camping style - Will I travel heavy or light. Don't know as we have never done it yet.

For me it was more about the basics (is there enough CCC for waste, water, people & minimal gear).

Wife is starting to turn on me... she finds something we like but I haven't verified the numbers closely enough.

Argh.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Low CCC is how they make them '1/2 Ton Towable', plus the construction is lighter now so they can't haul as much weight....
Old 03-28-2016, 09:25 PM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Why would you be towing with both fresh and waste water tanks full? Figure on the 49 gallons of fresh water for towing weight if dry camping. Otherwise just carry 15 gallons if heading to a campground with hookups. That CCC is low. The GVWR is 7600, which is as much as you likely can tow without being over your GVWR on your truck.

What is your payload on the truck?

You need a trailer about 1000 lbs. lighter and 5' shorter. Look at the 231RBDSLE.

Last edited by atwowheelguy; 03-28-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:28 AM

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

my trailer has a CCC of about 1100lbs and we never get close to it.

dry, it sits at about 6500lbs and fully loaded, ready to camp it weighs about 7300lbs.

that is enough stuff for a family of 4. 2 adults, 2 kids (4 and 6). kids and wife need lots of stuff and we don't come close to being over.

keep in mind i never travel with water. if i do, it's for a very short distance (5-10 minute drive tops).
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by atwowheelguy
Why would you be towing with both fresh and waste water tanks full? Figure on the 49 gallons of fresh water for towing weight if dry camping. Otherwise just carry 15 gallons if heading to a campground with hookups. That CCC is low. The GVWR is 7600, which is as much as you likely can tow without being over your GVWR on your truck.

What is your payload on the truck?

You need a trailer about 1000 lbs. lighter and 5' shorter. Look at the 231RBDSLE.
I wouldn't be towing with both tanks full - way too much weight. My concern was sitting at the camp site with tanks full if I couldn't get a full service site (e.g. electricity only). I'd have to fill the fresh water and then the grey and black would fill - but looking at it realistically they can't fill more than 49 gal as it would all have to come from my fresh tank at which time I'd have to do and refill/empty

Truck payload is sitting near 1700#

Not sure the wife will go for a 23' trailer. Most of the other specs seem to be not bad for this trailer (or so I thought - dry 6500, tongue 810).
Old 03-29-2016, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by sunofabeach
my trailer has a CCC of about 1100lbs and we never get close to it.

dry, it sits at about 6500lbs and fully loaded, ready to camp it weighs about 7300lbs.

that is enough stuff for a family of 4. 2 adults, 2 kids (4 and 6). kids and wife need lots of stuff and we don't come close to being over.

keep in mind i never travel with water. if i do, it's for a very short distance (5-10 minute drive tops).
We were trying to think of what we would pack - we struggle to get to 1000#. I knew gear/supplies/food would never get close... as mentioned being new to this trailer thing there are so many numbers floating around (for the TV & TT) I'm getting hung up on things like once people and water/waste get added (this being at the park as I do NOT plan on towing with tanks full or people in the trailer) does exceeding the CCC matter? Will I wake up to a collapsed jack or blown tire? On the road I know we should/will be under the CCC.

Our drives with full tanks would be brief too - to/from site. So I don't think I have to worry too much about that (and by then no one will be in the trailer, thus reducing the weight by 500#)

Just me being a worry wort (can you imagine living with me??)

Quick Reply: Trailer CCC too low??