Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer brakes grabbing. 2020 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer brakes grabbing. 2020 F150

Hi all. Towing for the first time with 2020 F150, &000lb dual axle trailer with all new brakes.
When I apply the brakes for about 10 seconds the rig slows down then grabs hard. take foot off the brake peddle and they release. Tried different gain settings and trailer settings. the brakes are not dragging, drums not hot.
Factory brake controller. I am pretty sure it is something the truck is causing and not the trailer but i am going to try with a different truck to verify. Can this possibly be the software issue I have read about?
Thank you.
Old 09-26-2022, 01:35 PM

Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

2020 F150 53a tow package and ~7000lbs grand design 2020 travel trailer here, no such issue for me. I descend some 1000 ft hills in eastern TN with the gain set to 7.0 using Ford OEM brake controller, use of 7.5 begins to lock the wheels on level ground. I definitely sustain more than 10 seconds of brake pedal application in some of these descents and braking strength is uniform. I am in tow/haul mode and have an entry for my trailer in the truck's tow settings which is active.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:51 AM

Well it is definitely something with the truck. I took a couple laps pulling trailer with a Chevy 2500 and the trailer brakes worked fine.
Any advise appreciated.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:54 AM

Received 1,302 Likes on 853 Posts

Certainly possible that the brake controller module is defective. If it's still under warranty, ask Dealer to check it, maybe a code is stored.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:50 PM

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,195 Posts

If you go into the towing menu you can see the brake effort being commanded by the ITBC. If it does not change when the combo starts braking harder, either you're got something going on with the ABS module, or the brake pads on the truck or trailer are getting grabby when they get hot.

Do you have performance pads on the truck?
Old 09-27-2022, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
If you go into the towing menu you can see the brake effort being commanded by the ITBC. If it does not change when the combo starts braking harder, either you're got something going on with the ABS module, or the brake pads on the truck or trailer are getting grabby when they get hot.

Do you have performance pads on the truck?
OK that's good info. It happens as soon as I start a trip so i don't think it is related to temp. I did try different braking effort settings and all were the same. Is there an option to see a graphic of the braking effort, like on he GMs ?
Its kind of pointing to the module. I am bringing it to dealer next week for service and inspection. hopefully they can check it out.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:00 PM

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,195 Posts

Don't know how to get there on the newer trucks, but in a 2015 you pull up the towing menu and select the trailer. Shows accumulated miles, gain setting, and has an output graph.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:19 PM

Received 1,302 Likes on 853 Posts

You also might delete the trailer, and re-enter it, just for grins. I had a wonky issue once with my travel trailer, deleted and reentered, it fixed my problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpencerPJ:
Bluewoo (10-19-2022), JW3 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoping to revive this thread if possible. I have a similar issue with my 2017 F150. This even happened when I didn't have a TBC installed on the truck. The first time that I pulled my RV home (with no TBC) it would hit the trailer brakes at max gain after about 10 seconds of brake pedal hold - regardless of speed or pedal pressure. It still does this now after I've installed the OEM TBC. I also can't get the trailer brakes to work normally with brake pedal application. They only work with manual activation of the TBC lever.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 951 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by t.w.beachy
Hoping to revive this thread if possible. I have a similar issue with my 2017 F150. This even happened when I didn't have a TBC installed on the truck. The first time that I pulled my RV home (with no TBC) it would hit the trailer brakes at max gain after about 10 seconds of brake pedal hold - regardless of speed or pedal pressure. It still does this now after I've installed the OEM TBC. I also can't get the trailer brakes to work normally with brake pedal application. They only work with manual activation of the TBC lever.
Two questions.
1. How did your trailer brakes activate and lock up pulling it home with NO TBC?
2. Did you activate the ITBC using FORSCAN? If not, the truck brakes likely will not activate the trailer brakes, where manually operating the TBC would send the signal to the trailer brakes.

Quick Reply: Trailer brakes grabbing. 2020 F150