Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Type

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Type

All,

I installed my OEM integrated trailer brake controller on my 2016 F150 XLT and had the dealer flash the computer.

I tow a 2005 Dutchman Kodiak 25ft travel trailer with electric brakes.

When I connect the trailer, the computer gives me two options for trailer brakes: Default or Electric over Hydrolic.

Which do I select? I have electric drum brakes.

Thank you
Old 10-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetlou
When I connect the trailer, the computer gives me two options for trailer brakes: Default or Electric over Hydrolic.

Which do I select? I have electric drum brakes.

Default for electric drum brakes. Those have electro-magnets that grab the drums whenever you press on the brake pedal.

Electric over hydraulic means you have hydraulic brakes, either disk brakes or drum brakes, with a hydraulic master cylinder, but the hydraulic pressure is caused by an electric solonoid pushing on the master cylinder. Excellent braking system, but expensive - normally on very expensive boat trailers, high-end RV trailers or horse trailers.

The newest version of the Ford integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) can handle either electric or electric-over-hydraulic brakes, but it needs to know which you have.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:54 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

Bingo. Thanks
Old 10-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

If your trailer is fully electric, default. You can tell if it's hydraulic by whether it has a reservoir, typically on the front of the trailer

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Type