Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Backup Assist

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:06 PM

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Trailer Backup Assist

Hey all. My first time towing this weekend with this truck. It did well, just my 17' 2,500# bass boat. The ride was good and there was hardly any push back from the trailer. Mileage was eh at best but I'm coming from a Ram Ecodiesel so can't compare 22mpg towing with the 14.5mpg I get now.

I setup the trailer assist and it was simple and went well. I do have a couple questions. First, the camera seems to loose sight of the sticker when backing into sharp turns, not jack knifing yet but tight angle turns. Is this normal? Second, the camera looses sight of the sticker when backing up my steep driveway. Is this normal?

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

That's one of the reasons I don't use it, the "window" varies greatly depending on the trailer and the tongue. I also have a tight angle backing in when I get home. More importantly to me, though, is that it takes so long. I'm on a corner and will block traffic on two streets backing in. By the time I hit the button, tell it which trailer, and wait for it to find the sticker I could have already backed in the old fashioned way. If you have time, though, it's kind of cool to see it working.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragingun
Hey all. My first time towing this weekend with this truck. It did well, just my 17' 2,500# bass boat. The ride was good and there was hardly any push back from the trailer. Mileage was eh at best but I'm coming from a Ram Ecodiesel so can't compare 22mpg towing with the 14.5mpg I get now.

I setup the trailer assist and it was simple and went well. I do have a couple questions. First, the camera seems to loose sight of the sticker when backing into sharp turns, not jack knifing yet but tight angle turns. Is this normal? Second, the camera looses sight of the sticker when backing up my steep driveway. Is this normal?

Thanks.
Hello, I'm a heavy user of the Trailer Backup Assist and it happened very few times to lose sight of the sticker. It depends a lot of your trailer frame configuration, battery/propane configuration, hitch height, etc...I would consider changing the location of the sticker to see if it improves,
Old 04-01-2019, 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. My trailer is just a 17' bass boat and the sticker is perfectly centered on the toungue in the middle of the recommended length from the center of the ball. Very clear view without anything in the way.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bisjoe
That's one of the reasons I don't use it, the "window" varies greatly depending on the trailer and the tongue. I also have a tight angle backing in when I get home. More importantly to me, though, is that it takes so long. I'm on a corner and will block traffic on two streets backing in. By the time I hit the button, tell it which trailer, and wait for it to find the sticker I could have already backed in the old fashioned way. If you have time, though, it's kind of cool to see it working.
I agree with this. I prefer the "old fashion" way and am very good at it(man I get hot when I have to sit at the boat ramp and watch the rookies try to get their boat in or out). This is more for my wife. I live on a back road so traffic is as little as can be, more likely to see kids playing in the road than anything.

Quick Reply: Trailer Backup Assist