Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with regular cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with regular cab

Hi,

Newbie here with some questions about towing a travel trailer.

I recently bought a new travel trailer (23 ft, bumper to hitch 26 ft, dry weight 4600 lbs, when camping probably around 5600 lbs) and have a weight distribution hitch.

Now I am in the market for a tow vehicle and I really like the regular cab 2.7l ecoboost with trailer package. It looks as if the numbers are fine (payload of 1820 lbs should cover the hitch weight, two people and some stuff in the bed; trailer weight is well within limits).

Is it reasonable to tow a travel trailer with a regular cab 2.7l ecoboost?
If I need to get the super cab, will the extra two feet be a problem when backing into a tight camping spot?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think having the extra length will make backing up much more difficult. having the longer wheelbase will help with stability while towing and also give you some extra in-cab storage space.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

It looks like the RCSB (which I assume you're looking at because a sCab/short box is 22.6" longer) maxes out at 7600 at the low end with the 3.31 rear end and 4x2, 7700 for a 4x4 (no spec given for 4x2), and tops out at 8500 with the 3.73 rear end with 4x2 again.

The only thing I'd worry about with a 26' 6000# TT is it might throw you around with the wind due to your short wheelbase, and for your transmission's sake, make you it has an auxiliary trans cooler, not just plumbed into the rad, and watch your trans temperatures.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

It's always a trade-off.

Shorter trucks are easier to park and back the trailer into tight spots.
But they can be more sensitive to cross-winds (but with a 23' trailer, shouldn't be a problem).

Reg Cabs have higher payloads, but I also like the extra interior space of a SuperCab.

Reg Cabs are cheaper.

In our search for a new truck, we have not eliminated RegCabs, but will probably go for something bigger.

Tough decision.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Here's my 2 cents.... I've towed our TT of similar size and weight since 2008 to the sum of 40k kms with 3 different trucks. First get rid of the cheap WD set that the dealer probably sold you when you bought the TT. Invest in one with built in sway control, Equal-i-zer or Reese. I would not invest in a tow vehicle with the 2.7. Having the 3.5 I can tell you that its downfall is engine braking in a mountainous decent!! I can't even think what a 2.7 would be like IMHO. I have never had a problem backing my trailer into any spot I was assigned camping so your truck length should be a non issue.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by belfoos
I recently bought a new travel trailer (23 ft, bumper to hitch 26 ft, dry weight 4600 lbs, when camping probably around 5600 lbs) and have a weight distribution hitch.

Let's call it a 6,000-pound trailer with 780 pounds hitch weight.

Is it reasonable to tow a travel trailer with a regular cab 2.7l ecoboost? (and a short bed)?

Provided your F-150 is properly equipped, then no problem.

The Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide has a Tow Rating of at least 7,600 pounds, which can be pumped up to 8,300 pounds if you be sure to order the Mid-Payload Upgrade Package along with the trailer towing pkg.

Factory tow ratings are overstated by a bunch, but with a tow rating of 7,600 or 8,300 pounds you'll have no problem with a trailer that grosses 6,000 pounds.

If I need to get the super cab, will the extra two feet be a problem when backing into a tight camping spot?

Not for most adult RV enthusiasts.

Your biggest worry with a regular cab short bed (RCSB) is you'll probably often be called High School Harry. Way back when the RCSB was first sold, about the only people that wanted one was High School Harry, who was a wannabee rancher or cowboy, or maybe the son of a rancher. But no self-respecting adult rancher would be seen in an RCSB. Ranchers (and farmers and contractors and others who drove pickups for work) needed every inch of that 8' bed for serious hauling, so only city dudes, girls, and High School Harry wanted one.

But that was 50 years ago. Today there may not be so many that still think of a short-bed pickup as High School Harry's ride. The F-150 SuperCrew with a super-short 5.5' bed is selling like hotcakes

Quick Reply: Towing with regular cab