Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a Lite Toy Hauler

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Towing a Lite Toy Hauler

Have F-150 SCREW 3.73 axle and Max Tow

Would like to tow a lite weight bumper tow toy hauler. Looking at the KZ MXT303 which is 34 feet in length.

GVWR of the Toy Hauler is 8,8800 LBS. Dry Hitch Weight is 820. Unloaded weight is 5770

Will plan to load an RZR and 2 Honda Dirt bikes in the garage area combined weight of all three Toys is 1,500 pounds with fuel in them. Since the weight will all be to the back of the unit, my concern is that the tongue weight will be light unless I put some ballast at the front of the trailer.

Anyone have any experience towing a loaded toy hauler with the F-150.

Will I have any trouble pulling the Toy Hauler if it is loaded to the GVWR of 8,800 pounds.

Will be towing the Toy hauler to WV from NC for riding, but also planning a trip out to Utah and Colorada area this summer.

Thanks for any advice and info.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts

Please explain the bumper tow?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
aai

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by upontheridge
Have F-150 SCREW 3.73 axle and Max Tow

Would like to tow a lite weight bumper tow toy hauler. Looking at the KZ MXT303 which is 34 feet in length.

GVWR of the Toy Hauler is 8,8800 LBS. Dry Hitch Weight is 820. Unloaded weight is 5770

Will plan to load an RZR and 2 Honda Dirt bikes in the garage area combined weight of all three Toys is 1,500 pounds with fuel in them. Since the weight will all be to the back of the unit, my concern is that the tongue weight will be light unless I put some ballast at the front of the trailer.

Anyone have any experience towing a loaded toy hauler with the F-150.

Will I have any trouble pulling the Toy Hauler if it is loaded to the GVWR of 8,800 pounds.

Will be towing the Toy hauler to WV from NC for riding, but also planning a trip out to Utah and Colorada area this summer.

Thanks for any advice and info.
you mean like this? This is my old 05 5.4 RCSB that I sold to my neighbors son. He's been towing up and down the east coast which I believe is the same trailer you are looking at with no issues. Granted he did beef up the rear leaf springs, 4.10 gears and a heavy duty torque converter. Trouble free towing for the last 3 years and some 10,000 miles. I foresee you doing a much better job with your more capable truck. Weight distribution hitch and you should be there but your RV dealer will fill you in
Attached Images   

Last edited by aai; 01-01-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:25 PM

Thanks that is the exact Trailer. Nice to see it hooked up to TV. Do you know what he hauls in the garage? Bumper Tow means not a Fifth wheel but rather a travel trailer hooked up to the rear hitch which is attached to the frame and the rear bumper.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Give us a little more info on your truck?? What year? what engine? If it's a newer F150 you shouldn't have a problem. Just balance the weight out the best you can and get yourself a quality weight distribution hitch. My truck is a 2011 with the Ecoboost and Max tow pkg. I tow a 33' trailer with a GVWR of 8200lbs with no problems.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 AM
aai

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by upontheridge
Thanks that is the exact Trailer. Nice to see it hooked up to TV. Do you know what he hauls in the garage? Bumper Tow means not a Fifth wheel but rather a travel trailer hooked up to the rear hitch which is attached to the frame and the rear bumper.
Dirtbikes, quads, and cabinets filled with tools and gear
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. Truck is a 2012 Platinum Edition with the 3.5 ecoboost.

Ecoboostkev. What kind of gas mileage do you get when pulling your trailer. Thanks for the pics. That really helps. As I have sorted through all of this, my biggest concern is that with 1,500 pounds of Toys in the Garage that my tongue weight will be to light. Getting more comfortable with the the size of trailer. Now I have to find a RV dealer that has what I want in stock.

Quick Reply: Towing a Lite Toy Hauler