Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing cross country

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Towing cross country

My PCSing from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego Ca. I picked up a 2017 5.0 recently, pretty much stock except cosmetic stuff. Anyways I'm pulling my wife's car on a Uhual trailer and wondering what is the best speed for maximum MPG, Ill be going about 2500 miles.

One more thing I got an oil change about six months ago. So to me Im about to hit the time frame for another one. My truck says I'm still at 60% should I get a service before I travel? I get them done at the dealer since its still under warranty.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

My 5.0 is best at 65-70. Higher speed means more wind drag and really kills the mpg.

The oil change is up to you. You'll get a dozen different answers here. If I were towing that much weight across the southern states in the summer, I'd change the oil and go with synthetic. A little added heat protection can't hurt.
Are you taking the 10 all the way, or jumping up to I 20?
Old 06-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Most trailer tires are only rated to 65. U-Haul will tell you to limit speed to 55 with their trailer. I'd do 65 anyway. But not any more than 65.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (06-10-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:44 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinbrow56
Anyways I'm pulling my wife's car on a Uhual trailer and wondering what is the best speed for maximum MPG, Ill be going about 2500 miles.
Best speed for MPG is whatever speed you can maintain without frequent downshifting while towing in the highest overdrive gear. Probably around 55 to 60 MPH. Lower MPH and your 5.0L engine doesn't have enough HP to climb slight grades without downshifting, and higher speed you're fighting increased aerodynamic drag. On a '99.5 F-250 diesel towing a 9k 5er, my best MPG was at 62 MPH. On my 2012 F-150 with 3.5L EcoBoost engine dragging a 5k TT without a headwind, I get about 10 MPG at any speed between about 50 and 70 MPH. But a 5.0L is not an EcoBoost.

One more thing I got an oil change about six months ago. So to me Im about to hit the time frame for another one. My truck says I'm still at 60% should I get a service before I travel?
Under those conditions I would change the oil before you leave. If the oil has less than 7,000 miles on it, you could probably make it to your destination before the "maintenance required" light comes on. But fresh motor oil when towing can't hurt anything.

Originally Posted by msgtord
Are you taking the 10 all the way, or jumping up to I 20?
I've made that trip a few times. GrandDaughter's hubby was stationed at Kings Bay Submarine station just north of Jacksonville. We live on I-20 in west Texas, and travel to SoCal periodically - GreatGrandDaughter lives in LA. There's no reason to jump up to I-20. Stay on I-10 until you get to the I-12 bypass around New Orleans, then I-10 until just past Tucson, then I-8 to San Diego. If you really want to jump up to I-20 for some reason, there is no "good" way. We usually do it on I-49 in western Louisiana.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:04 AM

Great looks like Ill try half a tank at 55, 60 and maybe 65 to see which is best.

GrandDaughter's hubby was stationed at Kings Bay Submarine station
Thats actually the base Im at, no one really knows it so I just said JAX.

This will be my third time making the drive, Im just doing a straight shot down 10. Flying out the baby and the wife so we dont have to deal with a one year old in the car.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:45 AM

Drive a boat from Wisconsin to Florida several times per year. Keep the speed conservative. Somewhere in the 62-68 range. Once you keep above than fuel economy goes way down. On a 1200 mile trip to was a 22 gallon difference. I am a fan of synthetics, still change the oil soon after a long haul.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Plenty of dealers in other places across the country. I don't give warranty advice, but oil changes by others should also be sufficient.

Just finished a trip camping in Colorado. When I arrived there, it was just about time for an oil change so we did it there. Cost was lower than what I usually pay here in western NC.

"One more thing I got an oil change about six months ago. So to me Im about to hit the time frame for another one. My truck says I'm still at 60% should I get a service before I travel? I get them done at the dealer since its still under warranty."

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by thrifty biil
Plenty of dealers in other places across the country. I don't give warranty advice, but oil changes by others should also be sufficient.
Yes, I agree about the other dealers. Ill have a car on the trailer and dogs with me so trying to stop for oil change wont be fun haha.

Quick Reply: Towing cross country