Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question about what "towing package" my truck has

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumb question about what "towing package" my truck has

Ok, so, I know there is a million threads about this question but I havnt found my specific situation. I have a 2017 f150 screw 3.5 ecoboost. No hitch, only 4 pin connector and bumper mount. From what Ive read I dont have any tow package at all. Why Im confused is im 98% sure I have a aux tans oil cooler which only comes on 53a and 53c. If this is really dumb or been answered 500 times Im sorry, I just couldnt find my answer.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know most tow packs come with the trailer brake control and the 7 pin connector on the plate/rear bumper to connect the electrical from the tt to the vehicle. If you don’t have those I wouldn’t think you have any tow package. But I may be wrong here.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olotti76
As far as I know most tow packs come with the trailer brake control and the 7 pin connector on the plate/rear bumper to connect the electrical from the tt to the vehicle. If you don’t have those I wouldn’t think you have any tow package. But I may be wrong here.
Thats what I was thinking but the trans cooler is throwing me off. Trailer brake controller only comes in the 53c package from what im looking at, but Im sure it can be an add on option. Maybe its just a truck that got a trans cooler for no reason other than to have one.

Last edited by chriswillrise; 06-11-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 AM

Received 757 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Olotti76
Max Tow Package comes with the brake controller as part of the package,not all tow packages come with the trailer brake controller!!!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 188 Likes on 102 Posts

2018 Scab 2.7. No tow package. But I have a class IV hitch (listed on window sticker under options with no corresponding price), and 7/4 pin connector (not listed). There is also an auxiliary cooler of some type up front mounted low. Whether that is engine oil or transmission, I don't know. There is not a listing for it on the window sticker.
​​​​​​
When I was searching for a truck, the hitch and 7 pin were mandatory. Most of the online dealer listings mentioned both, even though the 7 pin isn't on the sticker.

Maybe if they order the truck with a hitch, it automatically gets the 7 pin.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

etis.ford.com should be able to help you out. Weird to see a 3.5 EcoBoost truck w/o a tow package though, kinda the whole point of picking that engine. Did you purchase the truck new?
Old 06-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswillrise
I have a 2017 f150 screw 3.5 ecoboost. No hitch, only 4 pin connector and bumper mount. From what Ive read I dont have any tow package at all.
Then you have XL trim, or XLT with the base 300A trim. For those trims, the 53B receiver hitch as well as the 53A trailer tow pkg and the 53C max tow pkg were options, and whoever ordered your F-150 didn't order any of those as an option.

Why Im confused is im 98% sure I have a aux tans oil cooler which only comes on 53a and 53c.
I suspect you may be confusing the tranny oil cooler with the power steering oil cooler. Trace the lines that connect to the heat exchanger. If they connect to the radiator, then that may be the auxiliary ATF cooler. But if they connect to the power steering pump, you'll know what that heat exchanger if there for.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Then you have XL trim, or XLT with the base 300A trim. For those trims, the 53B receiver hitch as well as the 53A trailer tow pkg and the 53C max tow pkg were options, and whoever ordered your F-150 didn't order any of those as an option.

I suspect you may be confusing the tranny oil cooler with the power steering oil cooler. Trace the lines that connect to the heat exchanger. If they connect to the radiator, then that may be the auxiliary ATF cooler. But if they connect to the power steering pump, you'll know what that heat exchanger if there for.
It's electric steering. There is no power steering oil, lines or pump.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:36 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

All 2017 3.5 came with the tranny cooler from what I've read. It'll pull, trust me. I towed a 7k travel trailer with mine after I added the OEM trailer brake controller and drawtite receiver. I use an equilizer wdh as well. I towed 7 hours one way to my last trip. It did will. My tranny temp never got above 204 and that was in 100 degree heat. 204 was only for a brief moment too. The tranny temp is the last thing I worried about. Keeping the boost to a min to keep coolant temps is primary concern with these trucks. I'm going to put hellwig stabilizer bars on front and rear to help but truck performs really well and tows like a beast. Ford put on the 7 way plug on the bumper. All looks factory! Got a good deal on the truck so I'll get the little things needed along the way. As it is, it does the job really well. I've read that max tow really gets you the 36 gallon tank which I really wished I had and will have but for now, it's 200 miles and then filling up. That's about the distance the kids can go anyway.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:37 PM

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBoost
It's electric steering. There is no power steering oil, lines or pump.
Removed

Quick Reply: Dumb question about what "towing package" my truck has