Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing checklist

Old 07-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing checklist

Hey y'all just making sure I've got what I need to tow my 5000lb trailer 2000 miles round trip.
Trailer brake controller
Fluids changed
Tires inflated properly Truck/Trailer
WD hitch set correctly

Not sure what else I need. Farthest I've towed the trailer is 500 miles round trip.
Also probably going to need some more power in the 98 4.6. Have a turbo muffler and gotts mod as of now.
Any of advice would be awesome
Thanks
Derek
Old 07-16-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarver
Hey y'all just making sure I've got what I need to tow my 5000lb trailer 2000 miles round trip.
Trailer brake controller
Fluids changed
Tires inflated properly Truck/Trailer
WD hitch set correctly

Not sure what else I need. Farthest I've towed the trailer is 500 miles round trip.
Also probably going to need some more power in the 98 4.6. Have a turbo muffler and gotts mod as of now.
Any of advice would be awesome
Thanks
Derek
A tuner would probably help. Add a bit more power and firm up the shifts a little more.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:28 PM
ColdWar Vet-USN Shellback

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Make sure you have a wrench for trailer lug nuts as well as a jack for it too. Vehicle jack sucks for trailer jack ( boy do I know). Check the air in the spares of both. Might as well check all the lug nuts with a torque wrench while preparing. Empty all unnesessary gear from both. Only haul as much water in camper as you think you'll need till the campgrounds. Look at extended weather forecast. If rain is expected ahead get new windshield wiper blades and coat windows with RainX. Check all lights and trailer connections. Bring good flashlight, poncho, old blanket/towels and gloves in case you have to change tire on side of road. While travelling keep track (GPS, map, ???) of where your at incase you have to call for assistance. Telling somebody your on highway 70 in Kansas isn't going to help much.

Just my .02 worth...
The following users liked this post:
SkiSmuggs (07-19-2012)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing checklist