Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque

I have a 94 str 6 4.9L and all I hear is this truck is beast when it comes to towing and hauling not so much for speed but lol ...........just wanted to ask just got her and dont know much bout her yet.................
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Well, it's 18 years old, which is about 98 years old in human terms. So it's a very senior citizen. If it's still running good, then someone took good care of it.

My specs don't go back that far, but I'll bet the '97 specs apply to your '94.

If your truck has the 3.08 axle ratio, then don't bother trying to tow more than a rowboat. But with the 3.55 ratio you can tow up to about 3,000 pounds with a stick shifter and up to about 5,000 pounds gross trailer weight with an automagic tranny.

To be more precise, with 3.55 ratio and automagic tranny, your GCWR is 10,000 pounds. Load the truck with everything that will be in it when towing, including passengers, pets, ball mount, toolbox full of tools, cooler full of cool, whatever, and go to a truckstop that has a CAT scale. Fill up with gas and weigh the wet and loaded truck. Subtract that weight from 10,000 and the answer is the max trailer weight you can tow without exceeding the GCWR of your truck. Probably between 4,000 and 5,000 pounds max trailer weight.

Hauling is another story. It's a "half-ton" pickup, which means it can haul about 1,000 pounds of cargo plus a couple of folks in the cab and maybe some ods and ends behind the seat.

Or to be more precise, use the CAT scale again. GVWR is probably 6,000 pounds. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded truck from 6,000, and the answer is the amount of additional cargo you can haul without exceeding the GVWR of the truck.

Last edited by smokeywren; 07-17-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Yea I don't know the ratio only had her for 3 months or so. Actually there is allot I dont know about her lol but learning.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by USAmericanMan
Yea I don't know the ratio only had her for 3 months or so. Actually there is allot I dont know about her lol but learning.
That's what this place is for! Don't be scared to ask!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 PM

Yea well come on with it then I ain't beating around the bush shes having a cranking issue aswell likes to take her time. replaced the starter, alternator and the battery will be replaced in couple days......still having issues
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts

Yea well come on with it then I ain't beating around the bush shes having a cranking issue aswell likes to take her time. replaced the starter, alternator and the battery will be replaced in couple days......still having issues
I don't know much about the 94's pal I have a 2000 and an 08. Sorry wish I was of more help
Old 07-17-2012, 11:06 PM

It's good bro
Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Grumpy Old Man

On the doorpost of the driver's door there is a Federal Certification Lable that includes the VIN, tire size and PSI, paint codes, and other codes. Under "Axle" there is a code that tells you the axle ratio and whether it's an open axle or limited slip. Post that axle code here, and probably someone will tell you what it means.

Also on the rear axle there should be a tag with some codes on it. If it's like later axle tags, the ratio will be the first numbers on one of the lines of code. For example, 3 55 or 3 08 followed by a bunch of codes.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:11 PM

I would post pictures but it wont let the pictures be shown idk
Old 07-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Grumpy Old Man

I would post pictures but it wont let the pictures be shown idk
Be sure the photo is in jpg or gif format. If it's in some other format, use photo editing software to save it to jpg format. Also be sure the saved size is neither tiny nor huge. About 5"x7" usually works. Then notice the address of that photo on your hard drive.

When you reply to this post, notice the tiny paper clip at the top of the reply area. If you click on that paper clip, a pop-up will open with a place for "upload flie from your computer" and a browse button. Click on the brouse button and find and select or open your photo. Then click on the upload button to upload that photo. I'll upload one now, to be sure it works:

Yep. That's a gif file that's applicable to this topic, but I'm not sure what year and which Ford trucks it applies to.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Torque