Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing car trailer/side by sides

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Towing car trailer/side by sides

Going on a sxs trip in Tennessee over MLK weekend coming up. I will be towing a 20' car trailer weighing about 2k and my Can Am Commander 800 which weighs about 1300 lbs and my buddies Kawasaki Teryx-4 which weighs about 1750ish. SO total weight will be about 5k plus our gear, my buddy, me, and his 8 y/o boy. I've never towed anything this length of miles prior, just pulling trailers around my house within 100 miles. What can I expect my 5.0 to get for mileage? I'm guessing somewhere around 8 or so, especially running interstate between 70-80 MPH. I already checked the tires on the trailer(he's got his own service/mobile repair shop) and has almost new tires that are rated for interstate speeds. I know wind speed/direction has a huge impact on fuel economy and I know I can't expect much. I plan on just locking out 6th gear as 6k is a pretty good amount of weight and know it won't be in 6th gear much/if at all. I know I will be watching my tranny temp closely as well. Also getting a fresh oil change the day prior to leaving as my current oil has 8500 miles on it. Obviously I will be checking straps every time I stop for gas and checking oil in truck(just cuz I'm OCD and always check oil at least twice on long trips) as that will be it's longest/heaviest pull of it's life so far. I believe we are headed down to the Brimstone area in Tennessee if anybody has any advice/wants to tag along or show us around!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Do you have a trailer brake controller on your truck? If not, I would go ahead and invest in one (assuming the trailer has electric brakes, which it should being that size). Also, you will be in the WDH range for your truck/hitch.

As long as you get tongue weight right it should tow well. Don't be afraid to stop and adjust the load if needed. Mark the trailer (or take measurements) to get it loaded the same when you load back up.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Do you have a trailer brake controller on your truck? If not, I would go ahead and invest in one (assuming the trailer has electric brakes, which it should being that size).
I think that's good advice. I don't think there's a flat spot in the entire state of Tennessee. So brakes are of extra importance.

Doug

Last edited by plano-doug; 01-08-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Do you have a trailer brake controller on your truck? If not, I would go ahead and invest in one (assuming the trailer has electric brakes, which it should being that size). Also, you will be in the WDH range for your truck/hitch.

As long as you get tongue weight right it should tow well. Don't be afraid to stop and adjust the load if needed. Mark the trailer (or take measurements) to get it loaded the same when you load back up.
I do have a trailer brake controller as the trailer does have brakes of course. So that'll be my first time using that(utility trailer I own doesn't have brakes) and getting that set properly will be the key. I'm gonna load trailer up with his on front(heavier) and then mine and vice versa to see which pulls better around our local county roads prior to leaving on the trip. It will be a tight squeeze as mine is 10' long and his is 10'6". Either way, I think the tongue weight will be ok as one machine will be fully on the tongue and one will pretty much be hanging over the wheels with most of the weight in the rear of both machines. SO figure I should be ok with the 500+/- lbs of tongue weight. My truck has a payload of 2050 lbs per sticker, so between my buddy and myself is about 450 lbs, his boy who is probably 70ish lbs, gear, gas, all that good stuff and I should be legal and safe. One machine will have to be up against the front rail as tight as possible and the other snugged right up against it with a few inches hanging off the dovetail.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:06 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a 2013 5.0 with a 3.73 rear. 8 to 10 should be realistic. In your bio, it doesn't say so hopefully you have a 3.55 rear or a 3.73.
One last thing PM me if you want. But how do you like those G2 tires? Are the somewhat quiet on the the highway?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

If you have yet to pull anything with electric brakes, take the time now to hook up and drive you're buddy's trailer around the block to shake out any issues. Nothing sucks worse than being ready to strike out for a week of fun and having to deal non-functioning lights or brakes. Check everything, including gain adjustment, to make sure your brake controller is functioning and there are no corrosion issues with the 7-way and harness plugs.

If you've never touched it, this would be a good time to disconnect the harness plug, check the contacts for corrosion, and grease up to keep the moisture from gaining a foothold.

Also, check closely for your truck pulling to one side when you hit the brakes with the trailer. Losing brakes on one side is a common issue that is rarely fixed on trailers in the 7k class. Many don't notice the pull until they are dragging 4-5k loads. The only thing that sucks worse than getting delayed on your day of departure is cooking your brakes in the middle of a trip because only one of four brakes on your trailer is working.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
I have a 2013 5.0 with a 3.73 rear. 8 to 10 should be realistic. In your bio, it doesn't say so hopefully you have a 3.55 rear or a 3.73.
One last thing PM me if you want. But how do you like those G2 tires? Are the somewhat quiet on the the highway?
I only have the 3.31 axle so I will just lock out 6th gear the whole trip. I absolutely love the G2's. I put them on the wife's 4Runner when we first got it and they are still going very well at 48k currently. I think I will get 60k out of those(hers are only P rated). They definitely ride rougher than the P rated factory tires(which I knew and expected) and definitely took about a 2 mpg because of the extra weight and I did go up a size. I live on about a 1/4 mile of gravel and the sipes are smaller than say the ridge grapplers, so they do pick up rocks more than the ridge grapplers(my bro-in-law has these on his F-150) so it is kind of annoying going down the interstate and hearing rocks hit the wheel wells pretty hard. But, they are quiet and give great traction in all conditions from the 30k that I have had them on. I don't think I will have any problems getting 60k out of them as well. I keep them at about 50-53 PSI. Any other questions? Don't be scared to ask
Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sbronemann
I do have a trailer brake controller as the trailer does have brakes of course. So that'll be my first time using that(utility trailer I own doesn't have brakes) and getting that set properly will be the key. I'm gonna load trailer up with his on front(heavier) and then mine and vice versa to see which pulls better around our local county roads prior to leaving on the trip.
That's a good idea. If you can, test it out at 50-60 mph and if it feels good try to test it at 70mph if you have an interstate close by. Also, check out the owners manual for directions on setting the brake. Once you get it set, you can save & name the trailer on the dash and it will save the gain setting and record mileage for the trailer (you just select the trailer once you hook back up to it).
Old 01-09-2019, 11:28 AM

Ya, I'm going to load them up on Friday I think and take it for a ride. I'm only 2 miles from the interstate, so I'm going to let them up one way and then come back with them the opposite way and see which way they trailer better. Hopefully it's not so dang windy like it has been the last 2 days here in Iowa. Yesterday we had winds of 35-50 mph. Makes driving anything miserable!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Hooked up the trailer and sxs's on Friday and took it for about a 25 mile loop around my house on the interstate a bit and 2 lane highway. It rode well, pulled straight, and brakes work well. My only problem-the trailer is only 20' and both sxs with only about an inch in between and the rear tires are barely on the trailer safely. So, I had to pull my Can Am up on the front trailer support bar to put the rear machine on safely. I did strap them down very well and neither moved from what I could see/observe. I am seriously considering trying to find a 22' trailer prior to our departure on Friday to buy just to be safe. The wifey won't be happy, but I will use it and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I also hate borrowing people's stuff.

Quick Reply: Towing car trailer/side by sides