Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Torque Converter Question

When I utilize tow/haul mode, I can see the revs climb but the EVIC display does not indicate a downshift to a lower gear. I am certain this is the torque converter unlocking.

I know the torque converter slipping is bad for the transmission as this builds a lot of heat. But if it is completely unlocked, is this still considered slipping?

Since I am in tow haul mode I think I am okay but I preferred to just take it out of tow/haul mode and drop the transmission into fifth gear. This is on a 2011 F-150 with the 5.0.

NC
Old 07-10-2012, 03:21 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Slipping clutches build heat. A torque converter is a fluid coupling, it's supposed to slip.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by NumberCruncher
When I utilize tow/haul mode, I can see the revs climb but the EVIC display does not indicate a downshift to a lower gear. I am certain this is the torque converter unlocking.
Never seen this. When NOT in tow/haul and hitting a hill, I can see a rev jump (not gradual) but the display stays in 6th. When in tow/haul on the same hill, there's also a rev jump but this time it's accompanied by a downshift to 5th.

So I would say that when NOT in tow/haul, the torque converter is unlocked. But when in tow/haul it skips that and downshifts right to 5th, probably at different rpms.

Haven't checked the other shift points, but have the impression that tow/haul never unlocks the torque converter except to shift gears.

This is with the 2011 Ecoboost with MaxTow and SelectShift tranny.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
Haven't checked the other shift points, but have the impression that tow/haul never unlocks the torque converter except to shift gears.
Interesting theory, I will have to try that. Maybe I'll tape in the tow / haul mode button permanently if that is true. I hate the torque converter unlocking. I hate it. That's me coming from a stick, the F-150 being my first auto ever. Auto trannies suck 98% of the time, LOL.

Last edited by flixden; 07-20-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Heard a lot of people do that. They like the advanced shift points of tow/haul too. Irritating though that you can't set it and have it stay in tow/haul next time you fire it up.

My ex-Tacoma didn't have tow/haul and only 5 speeds. There are a lot of gradual grades out there that unlocked the tranny and ran it somewhere between 4th and 5th with our trailer. Drove me nuts, manually knocking it down to 4th all the time. Also the Tacoma didn't have a tranny temp gauge.

Dunno about this tranny, but in my Passat, the torque converter is the weakest part of the tranny, so I really don't like pushing them and use tow/haul all the time when towing with the truck.

I do wonder why the OP says his tranny isn't acting like mine. I got the SelectShift tranny with the MaxTow package. Do only SelectShift tranny's have the Tow/Haul option? Could he have the regular tranny?

Last edited by brulaz; 07-20-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by brulaz
Heard a lot of people do that. They like the advanced shift points of tow/haul too. Irritating though that you can't set it and have it stay in tow/haul next time you fire it up.

My ex-Tacoma didn't have tow/haul and only 5 speeds. There are a lot of gradual grades out there that unlocked the tranny and ran it somewhere between 4th and 5th with our trailer. Drove me nuts, manually knocking it down to 4th all the time. Also the Tacoma didn't have a tranny temp gauge.

Dunno about this tranny, but in my Passat, the torque converter is the weakest part of the tranny, so I really don't like pushing them and use tow/haul all the time when towing with the truck.

I do wonder why the OP says his tranny isn't acting like mine. I got the SelectShift tranny with the MaxTow package. Do only SelectShift tranny's have the Tow/Haul option? Could he have the regular tranny?
The OP has returned. After suing Ford regarding tranny issues with my 2011 F-150, I am now driving a 2012 FX4 with the 5.0 and tow package. My 2011 also had the tow package.

I am heading over a pass today and I'll verify that when I click on tow/haul I see the revs climb but the tranny does not downshift. Maybe I read it wrong in Colorado a few weeks ago but I doubt it. I'll let you know soon.

NC

Quick Reply: Torque Converter Question