Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sliding bed recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Sliding bed recommendations?

Looking for a sliding bed for my 2012 FX4 6½' bed with a shell. Thinking that because of the shell, I probably want a 100% extension bed, but since I've never used one I can't say. Because of the shell, I need every inch in the bed I can get, so the lowest profile slider is key. My tailgate has a stripper pole, so if necessary I can ditch that too.
I'm a contractor, so I'm really not going to load 2000# in it, but occasionally I have packed 1000# of concrete bags in there (which have no need to extend beyond the access point.

I searched the threads but came up with surprisingly little.

Recommendations please, especially from those who use a slide with a shell.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Roget
. Because of the shell, I need every inch in the bed I can get, so the lowest profile slider is key.
The CargoGlide sounds like what the doctor ordered. http://www.cargoglide.com/

Three basic models, all low profile, in regular, HD and XL weight capacity. Specs say the regular model with 1,000 pound weight capacity will fit in any F-150 with 6.5' bed.

No, I have not personally used one. But If you order it via Amazon.com or WalMart, they have satisfaction guaranteed. I don't find the 1,000 pound capacity on Amazon right now, but here's the 1,500:
https://www.amazon.com/CargoGlide-CG1500-7548-Sliding-Truck-Capacity/dp/B019A6J6YA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539214869&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Cargoglide+CG1000-7548 https://www.amazon.com/CargoGlide-CG1500-7548-Sliding-Truck-Capacity/dp/B019A6J6YA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539214869&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=Cargoglide+CG1000-7548

If you prefer the less-expensive 1000, it's available from WalMart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/CargoGlid...bbf4f9cd389d49
The following users liked this post:
Roget (10-10-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 AM

Being an impatient sort, I did go with CargoGlide. Because the difference was minor, I elected for the 2200XL over the 1500. And I ended up at Amazon - not because they have the absolute lowest price (they didn't), but because I can rely on their delivery services.

I looked hard at Bedslide (so popular amongst the homeowner set) and CargoEase, but CG appeared better built. Extendobed might be the best, but I guess you need a Maitre D named Pierre to actually get a price from them.

I'm a bit leery of what it will be like always carrying an extra 400# wherever I go, but that seems inevitable.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Do follow-up after the install and actual use as I'm curious how well it suits you. I don't have a shell but I do have a DECKED system and this looks like it can be beneficial to us since the DECKED system can handle #2000 and my payload should be able to cover the additional weight. Thanks and much appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 PM

I will. It has shipped, but heavy ground ... 2 weeks in transit. Just hoping I don't need springs in the rear to restore the ride...
Old 11-13-2018, 03:39 PM

The unit arrived strapped to a pallet (lift-gate delivery) and during shipping the latch got embedded into the cardboard mat and would not open. This caused some confusion, since you have to open it to get it apart. Customer service replied to an inquiry a couple of days later, so that wasn't stellar, and eventually I figured it out after a little while (just had to block the unit up for the latch to clear).

Install was pretty painless and straightforward. Cargoglide has install videos on their site and YouTube. You do need two people to lift the frames into the bed. The supplied hardware (plusnuts) were the ticket and an install without them would be gruesome because some of the fastening points are in locations inaccessible from under the truck. I installed drop-links, but the tray DOES slide out, albeit just brushing the cover over the stripper pole.I used the links anyway under the supposition that when the tray was heavily loaded it might not clear so easily, and that would be a bad time to find out. I do wish there was a shorter drop link because the tailgate stops just a gnat's flidget from the bumper and gives me pause every time it doesn't get dropped gently.

The unit I purchased is heavy - somewhere around 400 lbs - I presume some of that is due to upgraded components necessary for full extension.
It rolls in and out easily, noting of course that if the truck isn't level and the deck is loaded, you are rolling a several hundred pounds. So if the truck is pointed down hill it will require some effort, and similarly, it might come at you if you are pointed uphill. The latching mechanism is very simple and sturdy, sometimes I wish it had more detents, but I guess you could cut more in if you really want. The deck is mostly non-skid, but not as grippy as say, a real rubber mat.

Overall, it has met my high hopes. My back thanks me every day and it is super handy to be able to access things at the back without a scramble. Shoulda done it years ago!
The following users liked this post:
i2oadi2unnei2 (11-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Sliding bed recommendations?