Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Payload clarification

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Payload clarification

Hey guys, my truck's yellow sticker door jamb sticker states 1946lb payload. I was at a friend's today and was just curious what his was as it's a 2014 and his sticker states 1400 lb pay load. I mentioned I was surprised as he has 3.73 gears his payload wasn't higher and he said that's only based on the factory tires and that now that he has 10 ply tires his payload is higher. I was under the impression the yellow sticker is basically calculating GVWR minus the factory truck's weight regardless of what tires you use.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

You can NOT change the payload rating...or ANY other rating on a vehicle , in any way.......short of getting it re-engineered and stamped! As to why your payload rating is different than your...there is not near enough information stated for anyone to "analyze". Year of truck? Trim Package? Model? WB? Engine? and the list goes on....
Old 11-04-2018, 06:29 AM

Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts

In short: your buddy is WRONG
Old 11-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser55
he said that's only based on the factory tires and that now that he has 10 ply tires his payload is higher.
He's wrong. Payload is GVWR minus the weight of the truck when it exited the assembly line.

I was under the impression the yellow sticker is basically calculating GVWR minus the factory truck's weight regardless of what tires you use.
You're right.. To change the payload requires you to change the GVWR, And changing the GVWR is an expensive and drawn-out procedure. Usually, changing the GVWR and getting it certified costs more than upgrading trucks to one that already has the payload capacity you need.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for clarifying that, he's an engineer so I started second guessing my self.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser55
Thanks for clarifying that, he's an engineer so I started second guessing my self.
being an engineer whose customers are also engineers, they can be kinda dumb sometimes.

if he doesn’t have max tow package then his truck will have lower payload then yours. If his truck does have max tow, but is higher trim(would have to be an absolutely loaded platinum to be that low I think) then it will be lower.

my 2014 supercrew long bed Lariat with max tow has a 1560 lb payload to give you a reference but that is about the same as similarly option 2015+ trucks.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts

In fact it is possible that those 10 ply tires reduce his available payload if they weigh more than the factory tires.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
... the weight of the truck when it exited the assembly line.
Is this what's considered curb weight? Or is that something different? I've often been confused with this terminology.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by old_programmer
In fact it is possible that those 10 ply tires reduce his available payload if they weigh more than the factory tires.
...and just to be clear.
There's no such thing as "10 ply" tires anymore. What he might be referring to is "10 ply rated" tires. It's the load index that determines the tire's load capacity.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:00 PM

Received 222 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by old_programmer
Mmm, not absolutely sure, but I don't think changing unsprung weight, i.e., tires, wheels, axles, reduces the payload. Pretty sure that's a sprung weight rating, so anything carried by the springs and frame. Nearly all of the time, tire loading capacity is well above the payload rating.

Quick Reply: Payload clarification