Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rvshare, Outdoorsy, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 05:57 PM

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts
Default Rvshare, Outdoorsy, etc

Has anyone on here ever used any of these sites to rent out their RV for extra coin? Have been considering it since my RV has been used exactly twice, and maybe a third time by summers end(Thanks covid). Would certainly take the sting out of paying all this money just to have less parking space at home.

Last edited by Static2606; 08-22-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:13 PM

Received 1,296 Likes on 847 Posts

RV values are up big time with covid. Many cry they can not even find one. Sell yours if it's not right for you. My opinion, when was the last time you rented something and treated it like it was your own? Lots of people are hard on others equipment, and simply inexperience is enough. Personally, no way would I rent mine out, sell it if you don't use it.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:13 PM

I just bought it January. And I really do love traveling. The Wife and I have been wanting to buy one for almost half a decade and now with kids it'll be something to make memories with just like when I was growing up. I can afford it, enjoy using it, but 90% of the time it is unused.

As far damages are concerned, that is what deposits and insurance is for.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:25 PM

Received 1,137 Likes on 820 Posts

Sign up to whatever site you want to rent it from. See what the process is to be a renter. Their vetting process to rent might cause ease or cause worry.
Also sign up to rent, see what insurance coverage they offer, when does it start? Does it cover your trailer? Etc.
Trailers around here are on CL for less than 24 hours most of the time. Those in the $2k-$10k range at least. People are selling them for a decent amount because the demand is high. If you can make a profit, maybe look for one next year. I imagine there will be an influx of used ones for sale and you might find a deal.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

We have rented ours on RV Share for the past two years. All but one renter has taken really good care of it. Here are some things to expect:

No one will clean it to your standards
You have to be a laid back person (things will break, whether its when you use it or your renters, lets face it most RVs are poor build quality)
RV Share takes 25% with great insurance while Outdoor takes 20% with ok insurance
I spend about 45 minutes the walk thru and adjusting my WDH for the renter's vehicle
If you keep it at a storage facility, renters are technically not allowed to enter the gates ( I usually get there early and pull the RV outside the gate)
It forces you to really plan your trips out so you can block those dates off from being rented (harder to take last minute trips)

For us, it wasn't about trying to make money. It was more about covering the storage fees and we felt weird just letting it sit while we couldn't use it. It isn't for everyone and I think we may only rent one more year. In the three years we will be really close to making back what we spent on the trailer, just a little over 20K.

After we take it off RV Share we plan to reach out to our best renters to rent on our own terms just 3 or 4 times a year.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kallen425:
BRUTE448 (08-23-2020), Kd70qc (08-25-2020), Static2606 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 03:04 PM

I've looked into outdoorsy, and it seems their customer service has all but vanished since this pandemic has taken off. Have you heard any thing or experienced that? RVshare seems to still be ok. Also one thing about outdoorsy that stopped me dead in my tracks is the fact they use a service called plaid for their payment servicer. Which requires me to give out my login info for my bank account. Thats not gonna happen, atleast not with out me making another account at a different bank. Does rvshare require the same thing?

Rvshare is also local for me, based out of Akron, Oh.

Last edited by Static2606; 08-24-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Static2606
I've looked into outdoorsy, and it seems there customer service has all but vanished since this pandemic has taken off. Have you heard any thing or experienced that? RVshare seems to still be ok. Also one thing about outdoorsy that stopped me dead in my tracks is the fact they use a service called plaid for their payment servicer. Which requires me to give out my login info for my bank account. Thats not gonna happen, atleast not with out me making another account at a different bank. Does rvshare require the same thing?

Rvshare is also local for me, based out of Akron, Oh.
RV Share customer service has still been pretty good so far. They have changed the format of booking so the owners can change and update things much easier this year. Last year I had to contact customer service a lot, not once this year with the new format. With RV share they needed my routing and account number, not the login. They release the funds to my account 24 hours after the rental beings. I usually have it deposited into my account two business days later.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:17 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Static2606
Also one thing about outdoorsy that stopped me dead in my tracks is the fact they use a service called plaid for their payment servicer. Which requires me to give out my login info for my bank account.

Yeah, they are violating two major areas of security, giving out credentials on personal information, and retrievable storage of login information. The day PLAID gets hacked is going to be a ****storm from hell.

And some banks are supportive of PLAID.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kallen425
RV Share customer service has still been pretty good so far. They have changed the format of booking so the owners can change and update things much easier this year. Last year I had to contact customer service a lot, not once this year with the new format. With RV share they needed my routing and account number, not the login. They release the funds to my account 24 hours after the rental beings. I usually have it deposited into my account two business days later.
Thats comforting to know that they just use routing info. I was taken back by outdoorsy's setup, and was left scratching my head. Giving them my login info would give them access to not just one account but multiples including savings and several joint which would then potentially affect other family. Its crazy. :s
Old 08-24-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flamingtaco
Yeah, they are violating two major areas of security, giving out credentials on personal information, and retrievable storage of login information. The day PLAID gets hacked is going to be a ****storm from hell.

And some banks are supportive of PLAID.
No kidding, it amazes me how many companies and people hold the belief it'll never happen to them. Every time I hear about some company getting hacked who had all of their customer data stored in plain text, or some office worker roaming around with an unencrypted laptop I just cringe. Security through obscurity is no security at all.

Quick Reply: Rvshare, Outdoorsy, etc