Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replicating a HDPP Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Replicating a HDPP Possible?

Would it be possible to LEGALLY do some changes to gain more payload and virtually replicate a Heavy Duty Payload Package? From my understanding the differences for the HDPP are: SLIGHTLY thicker frame, better shocks, extra leaf, thicker axle wall, and 3.73 gears. Question is, could I hypothetically get another 500lbs or so in payload if I did the following things:

- Reinforce the frame (if even possible)
- New stronger leaf pack (or just add a leaf)
- New beefier shocks
- Thicker axles(if necessary)
- Keep the 3.55 gearing ( I know 3.73 is better for heavier loads, but from personal opinion, 3.55 is just fine.. I'm not ringing its neck)
- E load rated tires

I have a 2019 3.5EB with Max Tow and 6.5 Bed. Current payload is 1526. Wish it was around 2000. Not terribly excited about current payload numbers and looking to bump the number up a little. Nothing too crazy. Wondering if there is any LEGAL way to do this. If not legal, why or why not would you recommend doing this (besides insurance reasons)? Trying to get opinions based off physics etc.

Thanks in advance for everyone's knowledge and opinions. (Please no haters. Just a couple simple questions. DO NOT WANT TO BUY A NEW TRUCK). So far loving this F-150. Just looking for a little payload bump to properly utilize the trucks engine and features as a whole.

Last edited by a67rs; 10-17-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

Modifying your truck cannot raise it's legal GVWR. Re-certifying at a higher GVWR is possible, but it would require engineers, lawyers and testing and would probably cost quite a bit more than a new truck. So I suggest you forget about that route.

The obvious answer is buy another truck... but you DO NOT WANT TO BUY A NEW TRUCK. Well how about used one! LOL

There is a legal way to increase your payload but not your GVWR. Simply take stuff off the truck that you don't need.

The good news, your 2019 Max Tow likely has the same frame as the HDPP and it already has a 4050 rear axle / springs. Properly balanced you could put 2,000 in / on your truck and not exceed your axle ratings. Since you likely already have the HDPP frame (craw under and check) I see no issue from a flexing / breakage perspective. The only issue is that the softer springs of the Max Tow vs the HDPP will not control the weight as well. To fix this you could get the 600 pound / inch front coils from and HDPP and the HDPP rear spring pack (or, it's easier, cheaper and likely more effective to just add SumoSprings or equivalent in the rear). Get the HDPP shocks as well. That set up wont be legal beyond your current GVWR. However, it should handle the load as well as an HDPP from a physics perspective. I'm assuming that the sway bar on the two are the same but you may want to check part numbers to be sure. The HDPP sway bar may be thicker, if so get that too. Given that your truck is already as close as it gets to an HDPP without being one, it shouldn't be hard. For you, it should just be Springs, shocks, sway bar, wheels, tires. You still wont have the rear axle but I don't think you need it for a well balanced 2,000 pound payload.
The following users liked this post:
a67rs (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,490 Posts

The truck is already built to properly utilize the engine & features as the whole way you bought it. You can modify anything you like, and replicate anything you like; but you can't change the legal or warranted ratings. If your modifications add ANY weight, that comes right off of the available payload.

If you need a heavier truck, trade in the F150 on something with the capacity you need. It'll be safer for you, your passengers, and everyone else on or near the roads.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:46 PM

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

If you could I'm sure Ford would build a Platinum in an HDPP.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Your payload is calculated by subtracting the trucks actual weight from the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The GVWR cannot be changed, but your truck can be made lighter which will increase payload. Things like taking off running boards, rear seats, consoles, and the tailgate will reduce the trucks weight by several hundred pounds and improve payload. That's about all you can do.
kehyler (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by marshallr
Your payload is calculated by subtracting the trucks actual weight from the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The GVWR cannot be changed, but your truck can be made lighter which will increase payload. Things like taking off running boards, rear seats, consoles, and the tailgate will reduce the trucks weight by several hundred pounds and improve payload. That's about all you can do.
I understand GVWR. The HDPP has a higher GVWR than non HDPP package. Most differences are minor changes to suspension such as heavier duty springs and shocks. Hence my question on will upgrading those increase my GVWR to similar numbers of a HDPP equipped truck.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gladehound
Modifying your truck cannot raise it's legal GVWR. Re-certifying at a higher GVWR is possible, but it would require engineers, lawyers and testing and would probably cost quite a bit more than a new truck. So I suggest you forget about that route.

The obvious answer is buy another truck... but you DO NOT WANT TO BUY A NEW TRUCK. Well how about used one! LOL

There is a legal way to increase your payload but not your GVWR. Simply take stuff off the truck that you don't need.

The good news, your 2019 Max Tow likely has the same frame as the HDPP and it already has a 4050 rear axle / springs. Properly balanced you could put 2,000 in / on your truck and not exceed your axle ratings. Since you likely already have the HDPP frame (craw under and check) I see no issue from a flexing / breakage perspective. The only issue is that the softer springs of the Max Tow vs the HDPP will not control the weight as well. To fix this you could get the 600 pound / inch front coils from and HDPP and the HDPP rear spring pack (or, it's easier, cheaper and likely more effective to just add SumoSprings or equivalent in the rear). Get the HDPP shocks as well. That set up wont be legal beyond your current GVWR. However, it should handle the load as well as an HDPP from a physics perspective. I'm assuming that the sway bar on the two are the same but you may want to check part numbers to be sure. The HDPP sway bar may be thicker, if so get that too. Given that your truck is already as close as it gets to an HDPP without being one, it shouldn't be hard. For you, it should just be Springs, shocks, sway bar, wheels, tires. You still wont have the rear axle but I don't think you need it for a well balanced 2,000 pound payload.
Thank you for your valuable input. I agree with all that you have said as well. I wasn’t aware that my frame is the thicker frame because of the Max Tow. I will get under and check it to make sure.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
If you could I'm sure Ford would build a Platinum in an HDPP.
True, but it could be something as simple as supply/demand or simple business decisions to keep costs down - assembly line changes, etc...
Old 10-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Doesn't make sense to HDPP a Platinum. The point of HDPP is to get solid payload, but Platinum trim takes a lot of that away. Then there's the cost, adding HDPP $$ on top of Platinum $$. If there ever was a time to move up to a Super Duty, a Platinum HDPP would be it.

OP: No, your GVWR will not change, as that's the RATING for the truck, and cannot be changed without spending tens of thousands of dollars to get recertified. Matching all of the HDPP components will make your truck capable of handling more weight, but if you ever get pulled for suspected weight violations, they are going by the sticker in your door frame, not any mods you have done.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:55 AM

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Hd = hd

One other potential downside to adding HDPP components is that they themselves are likely going to be heavier than what's currently on your truck, so that will also eat into payload. I'm know that the front coils are thicker, and I think it could be an additional leaf in the rear pack. I wouldn't expect these weights to be significant, but they do count, and if the goal is to shed weight to make more available for cargo, it's not helping. It should help out with the vehicle driving dynamics when loaded though.
Johnny Paycheck (10-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Replicating a HDPP Possible?