Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA on Hellwig Helper Springs on Platinum & Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:02 PM

Received 1,043 Likes on 747 Posts

Default PSA on Hellwig Helper Springs on Platinum & Lariat

Hello all.

An answer to a question no one may have asked.......The Hellwig helper springs physically fit on new (2024) Platinum trucks with CCD. I assume the adaptation of the shocks, and the load reading, is affected as the ride height is restored partially, but with they "fit".

On my previous truck, a 2022 Lariat, these springs fit >>once the rear ride height sensors are removed<<. I found that feature to be pointless inaccurate joke of a system, so nothing lost in this scenario.

So if your priority is ride height restoration, and you have tried RAS and don't care for it (me), this is a good option, and these springs can be taken off and on in about 15mins a side.
Old 05-08-2024, 09:17 AM
TPMS Magician

Received 6,652 Likes on 3,072 Posts

What about the RAS didnt you like?

I looked at the Hellwig Springs before i bought my RAS. Hellwig said the normal ones will squeak and make noises but the Pro or whatever wouldnt, but they were more expensive then RAS and didn’t seem as easily adjustable like RAS

Last edited by WVMoose; 05-08-2024 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by WVMoose
What about the RAS didnt you like?

I looked at the Hellwig Springs before i bought my RAS. Hellwig said the normal ones will squeak and make noises but the Pro or whatever wouldn't, but they were more expensive then RAS and aren't adjustable like RAS
They are both very adjustable......not sure why you would post that? The RAS adjusts easier when new, or not at all with a little road salt and winter.

I've owned both on a previous truck to compare, and the RAS were noisier (possibly because they bottom more frequently). RAS helped with body roll and axle wrap, but I didn't find them great with regards to anti-bottoming or adjustability, another big reason I wouldn't buy them again, mine fully rotted / seized up after one winter in the gravelly / salty north.

Our company ran Helwigs for years on a couple F150's, they lasted, didn't rot, and I literally have zero complaints.

The Helwigs never squeaked on my truck, they rattled a little if backed off too far.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:48 PM
TPMS Magician

Originally Posted by isthatahemi
They are both very adjustable......not sure why you would post that? The RAS adjusts easier when new, or not at all with a little road salt and winter.

I've owned both on a previous truck to compare, and the RAS were noisier (possibly because they bottom more frequently). RAS helped with body roll and axle wrap, but I didn't find them great with regards to anti-bottoming or adjustability, another big reason I wouldn't buy them again, mine fully rotted / seized up after one winter in the gravelly / salty north.

Our company ran Helwigs for years on a couple F150's, they lasted, didn't rot, and I literally have zero complaints.

The Helwigs never squeaked on my truck, they rattled a little if backed off too far.
sorry, I didn’t mean they weren’t adjustable…they didn’t appear to be easily adjusted “like” the RAS (in my opinion). The RAS just seemed easier to adjust then the Hellwig from watching the videos and reading the instructions. I’ll adjust my original comment to be more clear.

i wasn’t attacking your opinion on them, was curious. I was originally going that route because I had a Hellwig sway bar and loved it. After posting on a few groups for feedback, most complained about squeaks and noises with the non-pro one and the pro version was more heavier duty, reports of raising the rear up 2 inches, and cost more than RAS.

Hellwig customer service verified that I should expect some noise with the non pro edition and recommended the Pro with silent support but I didn’t want 2 more inches of rear lift.

sorry you had a rough experience with the RAS, WV here and no issues at all with any noise, rust, corrosion, and I’ve adjusted them roughly 6 times over the course of 2 years…last time I adjusted was actually in the middle of a snow storm…I was trying out different bolt holes.
The following users liked this post:
isthatahemi (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:51 PM
TPMS Magician

@isthatahemi also, do you have the pro or regular? I think the regular runs about $200 and the pro $500.

did it change your unloaded stock ride height?
Old 05-08-2024, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by WVMoose
@isthatahemi also, do you have the pro or regular? I think the regular runs about $200 and the pro $500.

did it change your unloaded stock ride height?
I didn't take it as attacking, just not the same experience for sure.

I had the regular RAS, and the 978 Hellwig, and I found both jacked the rear end up a decent amount, I tried taking out the lift block with the RAS, but I just ended up with loud bottoming (our roads here have large dips in places). I added Bilsteins to reduce the bottoming, but in the end the seized threads on the RAS made me take them off.

For my latest truck, I test fitted them only, I'll be installing them prior to towing and removing them after (currently only towing occasionally, but for long distances). Lots of happy folks with RAS, I just find the Helwigs to be 1/2 to 1/3 the price, and the only big difference was that they were quite effective at reducing axle wrap, which I haven't had much of on either of the 2 recent trucks I tow with.

I think the Helwigs are more progressive rate, and the RAS are more linear, but an expert can come correct me on that. The Helwigs offer excellent adjustability and are very effective at eliminating bottoming.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:14 PM
TPMS Magician

Originally Posted by isthatahemi
I didn't take it as attacking, just not the same experience for sure.

I had the regular RAS, and the 978 Hellwig, and I found both jacked the rear end up a decent amount, I tried taking out the lift block with the RAS, but I just ended up with loud bottoming (our roads here have large dips in places). I added Bilsteins to reduce the bottoming, but in the end the seized threads on the RAS made me take them off.

For my latest truck, I test fitted them only, I'll be installing them prior to towing and removing them after (currently only towing occasionally, but for long distances). Lots of happy folks with RAS, I just find the Helwigs to be 1/2 to 1/3 the price, and the only big difference was that they were quite effective at reducing axle wrap, which I haven't had much of on either of the 2 recent trucks I tow with.

I think the Helwigs are more progressive rate, and the RAS are more linear, but an expert can come correct me on that. The Helwigs offer excellent adjustability and are very effective at eliminating bottoming.
yeah. On the lowest setting on the standard duty RAS, it still raises the rear an inch easy. When I researched years ago, I got wildly different answers on what people were getting in terms of unloaded height changes with Hellwig. Might look back into it.

i also rarely tow as well and now I have a tiny camper. The camper has a heavy tongue weight though so would like to have something to help…would probably leave it on full time though.

Quick Reply: PSA on Hellwig Helper Springs on Platinum & Lariat