Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a trailer rear view camera for towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Looking for a trailer rear view camera for towing

Have a 26ft TT. Using my Explorer, I had run coax from the rear to up front. Had a connector inside the rear of the Explorer and one hidden under the propane tank area on the TT. Wired the video it into a small TV laid on the console. Had to do some tricks inside the TV because the image was reversed. You don't think of that when you buy a system because they take care of that, but when you rig up your own, you find that out when things look backward on the monitor and right is now left. Back then there were no wireless types. Today I find too many to choose from. They all can't be good considering where they come from. I really don't want to run a cable under the F150 when we get one. I am looking for one with a 7" monitor, 5" would be ok also.

I am looking for recommendations on what you are using and what you like about it. There is nothing here local to look at and if I am to mail order it, I don't want a piece of junk that I have to send back.
Thanks for any input.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:59 PM
NC Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 30ft TT, and I opted for [1], this has worked out great. It is a observation camera, so I can use it to also check out what is coming up beside me when rolling down he highway.

It was wired into the trailer light, so my lights have to be on for it to be used which is a minor annoyance.

[1] https://www.furrion.com/store/camera...ket-p-916.html
Old 09-29-2017, 01:49 AM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

Duplicate post

Last edited by atwowheelguy; 09-29-2017 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 09-29-2017, 02:08 AM

I went with a remanufactured Voyager unit from this vendor. Been using it for three years with no problems. Never had an interruption of the signal. No repeater required for a 27.5 ft. toy hauler travel trailer. Power is from the running light circuit, so they have to be on to power it. The power wire has a large plug connector between the bare wire end and the camera. I had a very tight space to house the wiring and wanted to cut off the plug connector in the wire. The vendor advised against it because of possible water intrusion.

http://www.rvcams.com/p/14/WVOS511-RM.html

They have several different size monitors you can pair with the camera, 4.3", 5.6" and 7". I went with the 5.6" remanufactured unit. The new units appear to have different model number monitors and cameras. They may have some improvements from the one I bought three years ago.

http://www.rvcams.com/c/Wireless.html

Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I will be installing this weekend. I went with an inexpensive (about $100) wifi camera that I will mount inside the rear (dining area) window, and plug into the trailer 12 volt socket under the TV. I have an old Android phone that works on wifi and have installed the app. I tested it and everything works great, just have to fabricate a stand for the camera that I can mount with velcro, since it was made for mounting on a license plate frame, and mine is way off on one side of the trailer.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

I'll be doing this as well, but the wireless kits are way too expensive. I've wired my own backup cameras before. A cheap $30 kit that screws onto your license plate works just fine.

You can take the actual camera out of the bracket and use it by itself. It's waterproof, and looks like this (shown installed in my Xterra):

I'm planning to mount it high and run the wire to my dash where the screen will just sit in the cubby when I'm towing. I'll use a quick connect between the truck and trailer to hook it up.

For $30 you can't go wrong. I just need to get around to getting it done when I have the time. Might wait until spring now though since camping season is over for me.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:16 PM

Wow. You guys spent some high dollars on these. I was hoping to see something around $200. Right now i get power for the camera from an interior light fixture powered by the rv battery and the camera stuck to the rv rearward facing window with suction cups. Since i plan on the camera inside the aluminum rv, do you see a problem with it transmitting to the monitor in the truck? All of your setups are outside.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

"High dollars?" Pft, mine was $30, $200 is high for me for a camera lol
Old 09-30-2017, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jay1028
Wow. You guys spent some high dollars on these. I was hoping to see something around $200. Right now i get power for the camera from an interior light fixture powered by the rv battery and the camera stuck to the rv rearward facing window with suction cups. Since i plan on the camera inside the aluminum rv, do you see a problem with it transmitting to the monitor in the truck? All of your setups are outside.
I think I prefer the higher mounting point for a better field of view. I plan to adjust mine some more so I can see the bottom of the rear of the camper. Since it is a toy hauler, it doesn't have a bumper. How close to the rear bumper can you see with it mounted to the rear window?

Toy haulers don't have a rear window so mine must be outside. I use my phone as a GPS while towing so I don't want to use it as the rear view monitor.

The Voyager and others have infrared LEDs to provide infrared light and they have infrared sensors in the camera for night viewing. The infrared light will be reflected off the camper glass and obliterate the image on the infrared camera. So the infrared "night vision" function of the camera will not work through glass.

The Voyager and others also have an audio channel with a microphone in the camera and a speaker in the monitor. This is helpful in communicating with a helper outside, or to let you hear the crunch when you back into something. An inside camera installation would probably reduce the effectiveness of the microphone.

What is the advantage of an inside installation?
Old 09-30-2017, 04:49 PM

Inside installation is out of the weather. The camera was sensitive enough at night that it worked for what I wanted...wanted to see who was behind me while traveling. People do stupid things to you when you tow an RV. You may have a point about the IR reflections in the glass. If the camera lens is right up and touching the glass, it may be ok. Either way, I can disable the IR feature. Without IR, I could clearly see the road and the white lines.