Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Length/weight limitations

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Length/weight limitations

We have been looking for a TT toy hauler. The one we pointing to was a Cruiser XT276 which is 5,110 lb. dry, 870 lb. hitch weight and is 30' long.

Nice BUT Cruiser now has a new model that is 6,670 lb. dry, 900 lb. hitch weight and is 36' long. (12v dub posted pics in a recent thread. The extra living space would be real nice as we plan to spend the winter down south. The toy in the back would be a 900 lb. Goldwing.

My concern is would that be too long for my 145" wheelbase? Am I asking for white knuckle driving?

Last edited by ccc150; 01-16-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I checked out the specs on that trailer. If you run with totally empty fluids, it's possible. But your going to have to keep the grey, black and freshwater tanks empty when driving.
What engine and gear ratio do you have?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I checked out the specs on that trailer. If you run with totally empty fluids, it's possible. But your going to have to keep the grey, black and freshwater tanks empty when driving.
What engine and gear ratio do you have?

It is an Eco Boost with a 3.73 gearing. I also thought we would not be carrying any water while driving.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

I would be comfortable doing it. But to be on the safe side, I would get the trailer weighed at a weighing station to be on the safe side. Any trailer dealer should let you test it out and get a weighing before the purchase. Even if you get it weighed brand new and empty, at least you will have accurate axle, tongue and combined weight.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Should be ok. Likely 9k wet so you are under max tow rating.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
Should be ok. Likely 9k wet so you are under max tow rating.
It's not so much the truck's tow rating compared to the loaded trailer weight that's an issue. You rarely hear of anyone exceeding those ratings.

The more common problem is the remaining truck payload compared to the loaded trailer's tongue weight. And loaded tongue weight is pretty hard to predict, especially with a loaded toy hauler.

That's a big trailer, so the OP will probably be close or over on payload and rear GAWR, depends upon how the toy is loaded and how much gear/people is in the truck. Trouble is, the more tongue weight, the more stable the truck+trailer, but the greater the chance of over-loading the truck.

Most people recommend a 12-15% tongue weight on high-side travel trailers for stable towing. And as longer trailers are more affected by wind and passing trucks, up in the 14-15% range might be better.

With a max 1150# tongue weight limit on the truck's Class 4 WDH receiver, that translates into an 8846# loaded travel trailer at 13% tongue weight. And lighter weight high-side trailers at higher % tongue weights

So, will it be a white-knuckle experience? That depends on how how the trailer is loaded (tongue weight), how good the WDH sway control is, and on the driver.

Quick Reply: Length/weight limitations