Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Husky 32218 Center Line TS with Spring Bars

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Husky 32218 Center Line TS with Spring Bars

Is anybody using the Husky Centerline hitch setup? Interested in your experience and opinions. I tow a 30' TT and made the grave error of letting the dealer sell me a WD hitch (Curt round bar) with friction bar for sway control. Looking for something with better sway control that won't break the bank. This one gets good reviews on Amazon, but looking for some trusted advice from this forum.

Thanks...Tom

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-32218-C.../dp/B00W919FL8
Old 12-27-2016, 01:41 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The Husky CenterLine TS is a relatively new design whose reason for existance was to squeeze some of the cost out of their wonderful Centerline HD towing system.

The Centerline HD #31390 head + #31512 springbars costs about double what the TS model you linked to. But the Centerline 31390 is a proven WD+sway cotrol hitch, while the TS is a cheaper knockoff.

If your budget restricts you to a cheaper hitch, then the Centerline TS might be good enough for you. But if it's going to be a Husky WD hitch for me and my family, it's going to be the older but more expensive Centerline 31390 plus the spring bars designed for the max tongue weight I expect to ever have to tow with that hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

https://www.amazon.com/Husky-31512-C...ds=Husky+31512

Last edited by smokeywren; 12-27-2016 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
strorg (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

When we bought our 29ft TT, the dealer sold us a Husky round bar WDH with no sway control. After towing with it for a couple years we planned a longer trip, I wanted something better (and with sway control) and settled on the Centerline TS. Once we got it set up properly, towing has been great.

If you have the money for a better hitch, go for it. If not, it sounds like the Centerline TS is an upgrade from what you have now.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I am also a fan of the Blue Ox WDH. It's not worth it going cheap..............
Old 12-28-2016, 01:17 PM

It looks like the primary difference is in how sway control is accomplished - the TS uses friction, while the HD uses the compression cylinders to keep constant pressure to prevent sway, and the Blue Ox accomplishes sway control through the torsion bars. I'm sure this has all been discussed on other threads - just trying to make sure I understand how the technology (and therefore price) differs.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by strorg
... just trying to make sure I understand how the technology (and therefore price) differs.

I don't care about which technology it uses, as long as it works to prevent uncontrollable trailer sway under extreme sway-causing conditions.

Even the cheap WD hitches work to distribute tongue weight (TW), so the different prices for the different WD hitches is the result of the sway-control or sway-prevention system that's built into the hitch.

Generally, you get what you pay for. The cheap hitches will distribute the TW back to the trailer axles and up to the front axle, but to get good to excellent sway control/prevention costs a lot more. As a rule, the good WD hitches with very good sway control list for around $1,000 complete with spring bars and adjustable shank, and you can buy them from internet discount sources for around $500 to $650. Those include the Husky Centerline HD 31390, Blue Ox SwayPro, Equal-I-Zer, and Reese Strait-Line with trunnion bars. Those will all handle 99% of sway-causing conditions.

But if 99% is not good enough for you, then you can pay a lot more for the ProPride or the Hensley Arrow, both designed by Jim Hensley, and both are good for about 99.99% of all sway causing conditions. The Hensley Arrow has been available for decades, then Jim redesigned it to fix a few niggling problems and the new design is the ProPride. I drag my TT with a ProPride.

What are sway-causing conditions? A combination of slick pavement (rain. ice, snow, or a thin layer of course sand), curves in the road, bumps or chug-holes in the road, debrie on the road causing you to swerve to miss the junk, and at the same time meeting an 18-wheeler enclosed cargo rig cruising down the road at high speed and dragging lots of air with him. Now imagine you're cruising down the highway with slick pavement, then go around a curve and hit a chug-hole then the next instant having to swerve to miss a piece of junk iron and that's when you meet the 18-wheeler barreling down the road. If you don't have excellent sway-control or sway-prevention system, you're going to end up with dirty shorts and with your rig turned over with the greasy side up.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 PM

Not to sound disrespectful, but I do care about the technology. I like to understand how things work. Just because something costs more doesn't mean it is better. If there is a valid reason that it costs more (e.g. a better technology) then it might be better and therefore I'll likely be willing to pay more.

I have no doubt that the HD, the Blue Ox, the Equalizer, the Hensley are effective and proven. Have you used the TS system? That was the point of my post, to hear from folks who have used the TS.