Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to know if I have tow package

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How to know if I have tow package

I know it seems dumb but I moved recently and can't find my window sticker. I have a 2015 Supercrew, Lariat 4x4. It came with the 7 pin connector on the bumper, factory hitch, 3.55 and the integrated brake controller. Does any of this mean it has a tow package? Reason for asking is we are looking at travel trailers and I am trying to figure out what I can tow. We are looking at TT's in 5,500+ unloaded weight range.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

At the very least you have the Trailer Tow Package.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

As Remo say's at the very least you have the trailer tow package.

The trailer is very likely within the tow ratings...

HOWEVER You may very well not have the payload available for it.

Unloaded weight of the trailer means nothing. What's the GVWR of the trailer? I'd guess at least 6500#. Figure 13% tongue weight (TW) and you'll need 845# of available payload plus 100# for the WDH.

So you're at 950# of payload. Probably ok as long as you're the only person in the truck. But if that were the case, you probably wouldn't have a crew cab or such a large trailer.

My family of 4 is 500#...my kids are still small. Assuming you and your family weighs the same, you'd need 1450# of available payload.
Looking at similar Lariets on the "post your payload thread"...https://www.f150forum.com/f82/post-your-payload-332538/

You might have around 1660# available. You can look at the sticker on the drivers door to see what your available payload is. if you've had the dealer install anything or added anything aftermarket, then you'll have to subtract the weight of those from available payload. If you don't know the weight of the added items, fill the truck up with gas and go get it weighed.
GVWR (7000# 145" bed/ 7050# 157" bed) of your truck
- actual weight of your truck
---------------
= available payload.

The dirty little secret to every manufacture's tow ratings, is that you will only have enough payload capacity to tow that much if it's a small driver in a base model truck.

Last edited by charles_slc; 04-16-2017 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-17-2017, 10:26 AM

Is a transmission cooler part of the tow package? I really want to know if it has one. Where would it be in the truck if it has one? I checked the door but before the numbers really started to mean anything to me so will check it again. Thanks for that link. I haven't added a single thing to the truck. Planned to but now glad I didn't.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by ALScott
I have a 2015 Supercrew, Lariat 4x4. It came with the 7 pin connector on the bumper, factory hitch, 3.55 and the integrated brake controller. Does any of this mean it has a tow package?

Yes. 2015 Lariat came with standard receiver hitch and 4-pin trailer connector. The fact you have the 7-pin connector means you have at least the regular tow pkg. Because you also have the ITBC and 3.5L EcoBoost drivetrain, you might even have the Max Tow pkg. But the drivetrain and ITBC were stand-along options that did not require the Max Tow pkg to order them.

Reason for asking is we are looking at travel trailers and I am trying to figure out what I can tow. We are looking at TT's in 5,500+ unloaded weight range.
You are probably heading down the overloaded path. Unloaded trailer weight is meaningless. Your limiter is probably the payload capacity of your F-150, so you need to know the max wet and loaded tongue weight you can have without exceeding he GVWR of your F-150.

Load your F-150 with everything and everybody that will be in it when towing, fill up with gas, then weigh the wet and loaded F-150. Don't cheat yourself. If you might haul campfire wood in the pickup when going camping, include that load of campfire wood in the pickup when you weigh the pickup. Include all the tools and jacks and any other weight you might haul in the pickup. Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded F-150 from the GVWR of the F-150 and the answer is the payload capacity available for hitch weight.

Divide the payload capacity available for hitch weight by 0.13 and the answer is the most wet and loaded travel trailer (TT) weight you can tow without being overloaded.

For example, if the payload capacity available for hitch weight is 700 pounds, then the max wet and loaded trailer weight you can tow without being overloaded is 5,385 pounds. If you have 900 pounds payload capacity available for hitch weight, that's a wet and loaded trailer weight of about 6,923 pounds. A "dry" trailer weight of 5,500 pounds is probably going to get close to that 6,923 number, so I hope you have at least 900 pounds payload capacity available for hitch weight.

Is a transmission cooler part of the tow package?

Yes, The regular tow pkg includes the Auxiliary transmission oil cooler, as well as the receiver hitch and 7-pin wiring.

All F-150s include an oil-to-water (OTW) heat exchanger (tranny oil cooler) in the bottom of the radiator. The trailer tow pkg adds an "auxiliary" tranny cooler that is an oil-to-air (OTA) heat exchanger in front of the radiator.

Last edited by smokeywren; 04-17-2017 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ALScott (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

It's normally mounted in front of the radiator. Different sizes and different types but that is where it will be. Take a look and then if want to determine size and capacity there are pictures available on Google that will help you.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks Smokeywren. That is my concern. All the guys at the dealerships are saying it's fine but I know they do not have my best interests at heart. I have towed tons of things over the years but never anything this big with only a 1/2 ton. I see people posting on forums that have the TT's we are looking at and towing them with a F150 but that doesn't mean it's good to go.

Trending Topics

Old 04-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Just looked at sticker. It says max cargo and occupants is 1,611 pounds. Also there is nothing in front of the radiator that I can see. There is a silver cooler of some type behind the front bumper.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

Plug your Vin in here:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

This will tell you what tow package you have and other good info.

Last edited by msgtord; 04-17-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are two links that I hope can help you.

Ford F150 2015 Towing guide
The 4th page has Tow Package information

Ford Fleet Info
If you want to get real in depth with your weights and what not.

Hope this helps!