Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haul Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Haul Gauge

I know many will say there is nothing like a scale to verify so I'll save your typing fingers the trouble. I'm looking for input or experience with this, even as a rudimentary set up tool.
I saw this on another thread https://www.haulgauge.com/ so I got wondering and tried to dig up more info. Aside from some website promos and Amazon reviews I saw nothing that would relate to real world numbers. Apparently this concept has been around for awhile. It looks like it originally came hard wired with a remote gauge. Now it's available as a phone app. What I was wondering is it accurate enough to use as a set up tool. I have been using the Torque Pro for some time now on several vehicles and I find it to be a valuable aid monitoring the vehicle. What I would really like to see is feedback from people who have used the app and then verified it on a scale.

Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-08-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked ace
I know many will say there is nothing like a scale to verify so I'll save your typing fingers the trouble. I'm looking for input or experience with this, even as a rudimentary set up tool.
I saw this on another thread https://www.haulgauge.com/ so I got wondering and tried to dig up more info. Aside from some website promos and Amazon reviews I saw nothing that would relate to real world numbers. Apparently this concept has been around for awhile. It looks like it originally came hard wired with a remote gauge. Now it's available as a phone app. What I was wondering is it accurate enough to use as a set up tool. I have been using the Torque Pro for some time now on several vehicles and I find it to be a valuable aid monitoring the vehicle. What I would really like to see is feedback from people who have used the app and then verified it on a scale.
I see they say it connects to the phone via bluetooth. The only thing I can think of is that it uses the trucks G-sensors(or maybe the phones) to figure out the sag and acceleration and compares it to the empty unloaded truck. They would have to know your spring rate and what not.

Must be a lot of before and after involved. Like with the tongue weight and WDH. It probably has you calibrate with the truck by itself, then you hitch it up without WDH and check. Then you attach the WDH. It compares unloaded vs WDH to see if you have enough weight transfer.

Last edited by mass-hole; 11-08-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Snake oil.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
HaulGauge measures weight by monitoring powertrain effort and vehicle acceleration. Powertrain effort is calculated from a torque converter model. HaulGauge uses the VIN to search its database for the correct torque converter calibration. If HaulGauge doesn’t find a calibration within its database, the user may calibrate the scale utilizing a patented machine learning algorithm. Acceleration is determined utilizing a triaxial accelerometer on board HaulGauge. When powertrain effort is high relative to vehicle acceleration, then weight has increased.
Instead of weighing the rig, HaulGuage uses the specs of the truck when it was new to calculate the power/torque used to move the rig. Then they estimate the weight of the rig based on the power/torque required to accelerate the rig. That might get you close to the actual weight of the rig when towing with a new, perfectly-tuned tow vehicle, but for most of us it will at best be an inaccurate "ball-park" estimate.

No thanks. I'll use a CAT scale and maybe a SherLine tongue weight scale to get actual wet and loaded weights. No guestimating required. No calculation required.

You can get all the info you need to know if you're overloaded or not with one pass over the CAT scale.

1] Tow vehicle with trailer and with spring bars of the WD hitch installed and adjusted. Add the weights on the front and rear axles to get GVW. That scale ticket will give you info to determine if GVWR, rGAWR, GCWR of the tow vehicle are exceeded, and if the combined GAWR of the trailer axles are exceeded. IOW, whether you're overloaded.

But to set up and adjust a rig, you need two more passes over the CAT scale:

2]Tow vehicle with trailer but without the spring bars installed (put the spring bars in the back of the bed). Compare axle weights from 1] and 2] to determine weight distribution percentages - to determine if your WD hitch is properly adjusted. The goal is 20% to 25% of tongue weight (TW) distributed off the rear axle and onto the front axle of the tow vehicle, and another 20% to 25% of TW distributed to the trailer axles, leaving 50% to 60% of TW on the rear axle, Add the weights on the front and rear axles to get GVW to use for calculating tongue weight in 3] below.

3] Tow vehicle only, without the trailer. Subtract the total weight of the tow vehicle from the GVW found in 2] to get tongue weight.

Weight on the trailer axles and GVW of the tow vehicle (including tongue weight) are important. and should be checked often to be certain you are not overloaded.

Gross trailer weight is neither important nor useful for anything other than calculating TW percent. Add tongue weight to trailer axle weight to verify gross trailer weight. Divide TW by gross trailer weight to get TW percent. Generic use says TW should be 10% to 15% of gross trailer weight. But TW less than 12% is more prone to resulting in uncontrollable trailer sway, so I advise using 12% to 14% TW as your range, with 13% as your goal.

Last edited by smokeywren; 11-08-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts

Great idea! The manufacturer can use information from these sensors for your ESC and ABS to work properly then this is a piece of cake.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Seems like there are an awful lot of assumptions being made, and that potential error can add up quick. I'd have to see some real world blind tests before I put any faith in it.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 497 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jp360cj
Seems like there are an awful lot of assumptions being made, and that potential error can add up quick. I'd have to see some real world blind tests before I put any faith in it.
I don't know about the assumptions as there seems to be prerequisite data to fill in before using it. They claim to have an extensive file of calculations based on manufacturer data. Also there is a self calibration procedure that is pretty extensive if the calculations are not present. The proof is in finding someone who has used it and then compared it to scale results to prove accuracy.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

I have a G-Tech that has it's own sensors for determining 1/4 mile times. While I'm sure the sensors themselves are relatively accurate, there is a lot to be desired in the software that's used for calculating the presented data. Frequency of sampling significantly affects both product cost and accuracy. I'd rate my $300 device, which uses accelerometers to determine distance traveled, 'meh' at best in consistent reporting, within a half second of reality. Great for checking if a big mod has improved performance, not so good for knowing what my run will be.

If you are going to use ECM calculated parameters, which can be skewed by faulty data (like our slowly failing electronic throttle bodies) and mfg published data (which tends to be generic and can contain typos) to provide more involved calculations like trailer weight and tongue weight, and you are going to do it for $100, no thanks.

While the tech is there to provide this kind of detail, neither the ECM data nor the cost of the device put it anywhere near being able to provide much more info than 'you are now heavier than before'.

Update: A quick google search revealed reviews in which users that hit the scales found Haulgauge off by as much as 10%. This one goes into my toys for tools bin... I can ballpark 10% either side by how the truck and trailer feel, don't need to give my money to someone else for that kind of roundabout figure.

Last edited by Flamingtaco; 11-16-2018 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:56 AM

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Snake oil.

Instead of weighing the rig, HaulGuage uses the specs of the truck when it was new to calculate the power/torque used to move the rig. Then they estimate the weight of the rig based on the power/torque required to accelerate the rig. ..
I would even think that a simple thing like the varying grip levels from aftermarket tires and/or improperly inflated ones could affect the results.

Quick Reply: Haul Gauge