Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F150 and our new camper.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default F150 and our new camper.

Well we just ordered a new camper a Rockwood 2604ws http://www.forestriverinc.com/produc...1&ModelID=1216 . I'm a little concerned about towing it with our truck (the one in my signature). Tongue wt of trailer unloaded 796lbs. With full propane, battery,BO hitch and trailer loaded it should be around 1000-1100lbs. I won't be loading much in the bed of the truck maybe about 100lbs all on top or in front of the axle. Just the 2 of us and 10lb dog in truck a few tools total of 450lbs in truck. We should be right around payload capacity of 1806 of our truck. I don't drive fast when towing usually about 62mph. I am concerned mostly about the tongue weight I may have to load the trailer in a way to lighten it some.
Our previous trailer weighed about 1000lbs less and we had no problems other than getting blown around with side winds.
We only camp 4-5 times a year with the longest trip of 360 miles round trip. Also the RV black,grey and fresh tanks will be empty.

Last edited by Freedom1955; 12-31-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Whats the GVWR of the trailer? Base that by 13% of TW for max loading. More than likely your truck will be fine.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by acdii
Whats the GVWR of the trailer? Base that by 13% of TW for max loading. More than likely your truck will be fine.
I believe it's 7796lbs. Probably borderline for our truck but were not towing up and down mountains or going long distances.

Last edited by Freedom1955; 12-31-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

We have a VERY similar setup to you, same truck specs, similar size trailer (Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS)

Our tongue weight comes in at 950lbs, loaded and ready for the road. We are conscience about how we load the trailer to make sure we add weight to the back as well as the front.

Ready for the road we are around 7700lbs...we don't carry water.

The truck handles the load fine. I use an Equal-i-zer 1000/10000lbs hitch and don't experience any sway.

Last edited by RubyRed Canadian; 12-31-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by RubyRed Canadian
We have a VERY similar setup to you, same truck specs, similar size trailer (Jayco Whitehawk 28BHKS)

Our tongue weight comes in at 950lbs, loaded and ready for the road. We are conscience about how we load the trailer to make sure we add weight to the back as well as the front.

Ready for the road we are around 7700lbs...we don't carry water.

The truck handles the load fine. I use an Equal-i-zer 1000/10000lbs hitch and don't experience any sway.
Actually your trailer is 3 feet longer and it weighs more than the trailer we have on order. I'm feeling better now!
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 PM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

I would say that your set up will be good but edging the maximums for the overall comfort level.

I have a similar sized trailer that weighs about 7000 lbs wet, loaded and rolling down the road. My 2011 Ecoboost handles it find and, like you, I keep it at about 62-63mph peak. My trailer is 29'4" ball to bumper and tows very nicely behind the truck.

My one suggestion is to study up on the proper set up of whatever weight distribution hitch you get and then, once totally loaded, take the truck and trailer to a scale. The numbers won't lie and will really help you determine if things are set up properly.

I know Acdii and I have used a spreadsheet for our configurations and it really helps to see the numbers.

One last thing, your longer bed will help with stability. It's not a huge difference but your wheelbase is 157" instead of 145". That spreads your truck axles apart 12" more than ours and will help with incidental sway control. In your case, 12" more truck is a very good thing.

Let me know if you're interested in that spreadsheet. I can email it your way.
The following users liked this post:
tuckr2 (01-05-2018)
Old 12-31-2017, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by clarkbre
I would say that your set up will be good but edging the maximums for the overall comfort level.

I have a similar sized trailer that weighs about 7000 lbs wet, loaded and rolling down the road. My 2011 Ecoboost handles it find and, like you, I keep it at about 62-63mph peak. My trailer is 29'4" ball to bumper and tows very nicely behind the truck.

My one suggestion is to study up on the proper set up of whatever weight distribution hitch you get and then, once totally loaded, take the truck and trailer to a scale. The numbers won't lie and will really help you determine if things are set up properly.

I know Acdii and I have used a spreadsheet for our configurations and it really helps to see the numbers.

One last thing, your longer bed will help with stability. It's not a huge difference but your wheelbase is 157" instead of 145". That spreads your truck axles apart 12" more than ours and will help with incidental sway control. In your case, 12" more truck is a very good thing.

Let me know if you're interested in that spreadsheet. I can email it your way.
Thanks for the response. I have a Supercab with a 6'.5" bed so I do have the 145" wheelbase.
I have noticed that compared to my now sold 3/4 ton the f150 is less forgiving when setting up the WDH. Just moving a hundred pounds here or there can make a big very big difference. You have to set it up the WDH nearly perfect. I personally do not follow Fords set up instructions. I bring the front fender height back to unloaded height maybe even slightly lower.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

This is my trailer:

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...e-hawk/28bhks/

The UVW is lighter than yours, but the yellow sticker on my door says 6700lbs as shipped from the factory with full propane tanks.

I figured I have about 1000lbs of "stuff" loaded in my trailer between clothes, food and camping chairs, tables, etc., etc.

I am 34' 6" overall...including the spare tire overhang.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 356 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedom1955
Thanks for the response. I have a Supercab with a 6'.5" bed so I do have the 145" wheelbase.
I have noticed that compared to my now sold 3/4 ton the f150 is less forgiving when setting up the WDH. Just moving a hundred pounds here or there can make a big very big difference. You have to set it up the WDH nearly perfect. I personally do not follow Fords set up instructions. I bring the front fender height back to unloaded height maybe even slightly lower.
Oops. My bad. I thought it was a crew cab. So, you are the same wheelbase as most. Anything under 30' will be relatively easy to handle.

I'm with ya on the WDH. When we pull our trailer out in the spring, I'm going to adjust the WDH as I think one more notch will drop the front of the truck exactly to unloaded stock height.

Quick Reply: F150 and our new camper.