Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine died on towing trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine died on towing trip

I have a 2017 2018 F150 2.6 2.7 eco boost, 10 gears, tow package with max tow rating 7200 lbs, truck new with only 3500 miles to start this first trip. I was towing my RV with GVWR 6000 6400 lbs. On my first trip traveling from Dallas to Tucson via the southern route, I drove 200 to max 300 miles a day, a 5 day trip, max speed 65 mph, used Regular 87 or 86 grade fuel, got an expected 9-11 mpg towing. The truck drove beautifully, better than expected, one day got 15 mpg with a tailwind, no problems encountered. But, 2 days after arriving in Tucson, I had to return urgently back to Dallas for a family emergency, making it a 2 day trip, still max speed 65 mph but driving 10 hours.
Problem: After about 3 hours on the road, as I’m slowing down to exit for fuel, the RPM dropped down like the engine wanted to die. I turned into the gas station drive and the engine stopped. I started it back up but it kept wanting to die, like it was out of gas, but I still had 90 miles to Empty shown on the dash. I started the engine again and reved it up to keep it going to pull up to the pump. This happened several more stops for fuel during the drive and the mileage decreased to 5-6 mpg. My adult son traveling with me suggested that perhaps the fuel pump was heating up? We pumped middle grade gas the next few fill ups, but the stoppage recurred at each gas stop. One other note: when these events occurred, the road elevation was between 2500 and 4000 feet, and a headwind. However, when we passed El Paso to a lower elevation of about 1000 feet, the engine stoppage problem ceased occurring the rest of the way to Dallas, and the mileage went up to 10-11 mpg.
Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions of what it might be? I have not taken it to the Ford Dealer yet to check.
SORRY, I TYPED THE WRONG INFO FOR THE ENGINE AND RV GVWR. CORRECTED ABOVE.
Other info: I looked in the Manual for recommendation of fuel grade for towing but did not find anything. I called Ford Customer Service and asked them to confirm what fuel grade to use when towing. After the person put me on hold for 10 minutes, he returned to inform that this engine is designed to use low grade for towing, that mid grade was not necessary. I did not discuss elevations with him.
I also asked them to confirm what the tow GVWR is for this VIN. He put me on hold again and returned confirming 7200 lbs.
White sticker shows GVWR 6360 lbs. Yellow sticker shows Max Cab weight 1606 lbs. No specific mention of tow max.
On the return trip, 2 adults (400 lbs) and 3 cats in carriers (50 lbs). May 15 lbs for misc. tools, stuff.
RV tongue weight 680 lbs. GVWR 6400 lbs. Trailer had empty black/gray/water tanks both trips. (I still need to get it weighed at Escapees in Livingston, TX).
While in eastern New Mexico (50 miles west of El Paso), there was visible dust on the horizon, but the problem described started at a stop further west between Lordsburg and Deming, NM, well before the visible dust was encountered.
The only difference between the trip out to Tucson and back to Dallas was adding a 2nd occupant (200 lbs), driving duration, and NM dust. I had headwinds and crosswinds during both trips and the elevations were the same (same routes).
Thank you all for your input!

Last edited by Kathryn; 04-20-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Correcting wrong engine info
Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Please let us know what would be the dignostic by your dealer (you will bring your truck to your dealer reporting what happened, right?) I'm curious to know. It sounds like something went wront with the turbos...let us know !
Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathryn
I have a 2017 F150 2.6 eco boost, max tow rating 7200 lbs, truck new with only 3500 miles to start this first trip. I was towing my RV with GVWR 6000 lbs. On my first trip traveling from Dallas to Tucson via the southern route, I drove 200 to max 300 miles a day, a 5 day trip, max speed 65 mph, used Regular 87 or 86 grade fuel, got an expected 9-11 mpg towing. The truck drove beautifully, better than expected, one day got 15 mpg with a tailwind, no problems encountered. But, 2 days after arriving in Tucson, I had to return urgently back to Dallas for a family emergency, making it a 2 day trip, still max speed 65 mph but driving 10 hours.
Problem: After about 3 hours on the road, as I’m slowing down to exit for fuel, the RPM dropped down like the engine wanted to die. I turned into the gas station drive and the engine stopped. I started it back up but it kept wanting to die, like it was out of gas, but I still had 90 miles to Empty shown on the dash. I started the engine again and reved it up to keep it going to pull up to the pump. This happened several more stops for fuel during the drive and the mileage decreased to 5-6 mpg. My adult son traveling with me suggested that perhaps the fuel pump was heating up? We pumped middle grade gas the next few fill ups, but the stoppage recurred at each gas stop. One other note: when these events occurred, the road elevation was between 2500 and 4000 feet, and a headwind. However, when we passed El Paso to a lower elevation of about 1000 feet, the engine stoppage problem ceased occurring the rest of the way to Dallas, and the mileage went up to 10-11 mpg.
Has anyone ever experienced this? Any suggestions of what it might be? I have not taken it to the Ford Dealer yet to check.
Hi,

I've read a couple of stories about this occurring, but no verified solution yet. I've yet to hear any long-term detriments as well.

You could mention this TSB to a dealer, but it only officially applies to 2018s. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post18361366
Old 04-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

OP: I suggest reading your owner's manual, the towing section. When towing, Ford recommends using premium fuel. That's a big deal. Second, which motor, exactly, do you have? 2.7 ecoboost or 3.5 ecoboost? 6,000lbs GVWR + aerodynamic drag, using low grade fuel, in higher elevations/hot/dry conditions puts a lot of strain on the 2.7 ecoboost (hence Ford recommending premium fuel).

I suggest running premium for the duration of your towing going forward and seeing what happens.

A few things could be going on here. But if you're running lower rpm, it's generating boost and lower ignition timing because of the lower grade fuel, which is tremendously heating the turbos and intake air charge, and could be tripping some sensors into confusion overload. Uncontrolled heat is the enemy. Headwind+trailer weight+aerodynamic drag is a lot of load. Lock out 5th and 6th gear and let the truck push some rpm and see how that does also.

I would be surprised if vapor lock was occurring due to the direct injection pressures, but under a super high heat scenario....maybe?
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Sounds like the engine is going into protected mode, possibly due to overheating, although the OP mentions nothing about any warning lights.

As to the tow rating, the OP is mentioning a 7,200 tow rating which we know is from a chart, and not the tow rating of the vehicle. What's the yellow payload sticker on the door say? How much does the RV actually weigh loaded? What's the tongue weight? How much did the OP load into the truck including passengers?
The following 2 users liked this post by Ricktwuhk:
Apples (04-21-2019), chimmike (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on which chart you look at, I have seen the max tow weight between 5000 and 7200 lbs. Tow package recalling only gives you the tranny cooler and oil cooler, trailer brake controller and maybe the pro trailer backup assist.

After reading the manual and checking online and reading all the caveat notes, the hitch installed on the truck is limited to 5000 lbs. The yellow sticker on my truck doesn't give the max tow rating which I think was call GCVW or something like that. The hitch that would give you the ability to tow 7200 lbs max I believe is part of the max tow package and it should have a sticker on the hitch somewhere that states the tow weight rating.

You might be pulling to much weight and allowing the fuel tank to get to empty. If you haven't adjust the mpg computer/trip compute to reflect true gas mileage (there is a thread on this board how to do it), your miles to empty is probably off and you may actually have been running out of gas.

I find it amazing that the mpg of the truck by itself runs pretty close to the spa estimate. However, stick that trailer behind and cruise at 60-65 and it sucks at 12-13 mpg. But I only have 1500 miles on this bugger and the engine is broken in nor have the fuel trims had time to optimize. MPG should improve (I hope) lol.

Oh, by the way. 2018 Screw, 2.7 liter, tow package, 20 in wheels, navigation.

Had absolutely no problems with higher temps on tranny or radiator...no change from not towing and towing.

Last edited by Yardstick; 04-20-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAltitude
Engine loads decrease with elevation because air resistance on your vehicle and trailer is reduced.
wait...what? uh...no.

as to a boost leak, these are not MAF equipped vehicles, so a boost leak would not prevent the truck from idling.

second, the turbos don't fully compensate for higher altitude and associated power loss, but they do make up for a lot where naturally aspirated engines suffer substantially more.

Trending Topics

Quick Reply: Engine died on towing trip