Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake controller

Will the factory integrated brake controller work in my truck if it doesn't have the tow package or max tow package? In my menu on the dash cluster it shows my truck has the trailer sway control in it, but I know it doesn't have a "tow package ". Just installed the hitch, and ordered the new wiring harness and 4/7 pin socket with some guidance from this forum. Just wondering if the oem controller will work. The one ford dealership I called said I couldn't even upgrade to a 4/7 pin. Oh and I have the factory brake controller harness behind my dashboard. Any info or responses would be helpful. On a side note when I bought the 2016 Ford F-150 I now have it didn't even cross my mind to check if it had a tow package. I just assumed all trucks now pretty much came with it!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Forever a Ford Guy
Will the factory integrated brake controller work in my truck if it doesn't have the tow package or max tow package? In my menu on the dash cluster it shows my truck has the trailer sway control in it, but I know it doesn't have a "tow package ". Just installed the hitch, and ordered the new wiring harness and 4/7 pin socket with some guidance from this forum. Just wondering if the oem controller will work. The one ford dealership I called said I couldn't even upgrade to a 4/7 pin. Oh and I have the factory brake controller harness behind my dashboard. Any info or responses would be helpful. On a side note when I bought the 2016 Ford F-150 I now have it didn't even cross my mind to check if it had a tow package. I just assumed all trucks now pretty much came with it!
Yes it will work assuming you wire in the OEM 7 pin harness. It should plug right in but you will either need to have the truck flashed to activate the brake controller by the ford dealer or use ForScan and a bluetooth OBD 2 adapter.
The following users liked this post:
Forever a Ford Guy (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 05:56 PM
F150 XLT

Received 178 Likes on 114 Posts

I came here to ask the same question for my truck. I did a search for threads as to not start another thread for the same topic and this thread came up, so I might as well ask here...

I have a 2017 Ecoboost Screw XT with the STX package. It has the trailer sway control and already has the 4/7 pin plugins, but it did not come with the additional tow package. My question is the same as the OP... can I order a factory brake controller and it will work with my truck? Will all I need to do is just have it activated in the computer?

Last edited by GTA150; 09-05-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by GTA150
I came here to ask the same question for my truck. I did a search for threads as to not start another thread for the same topic and this thread came up, so I might as well ask here...

I have a 2017 Ecoboost Screw XT with the STX package. It has the trailer sway control and already has the 4/7 pin plugins, but it did not come with the additional tow package. My question is the same as the OP... can I order a factory brake controller and it will work with my truck? Will all I need to do is just have it activated in the computer?
That should be it. As far as I know the plug is already in the dash, its just a matter of plugging it in and activating it in the IPC module(dealer or forscan).
Old 09-06-2017, 10:43 AM
F150 XLT

Originally Posted by mass-hole
That should be it. As far as I know the plug is already in the dash, its just a matter of plugging it in and activating it in the IPC module(dealer or forscan).
Thank you for responding. I did not get the tow package, so is my wiring harness set for the brake controller, or do I need a additional/separate harness to include the plug?

I found the brake controller for $108 on the online parts website.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by GTA150
Thank you for responding. I did not get the tow package, so is my wiring harness set for the brake controller, or do I need a additional/separate harness to include the plug?

I found the brake controller for $108 on the online parts website.
I dont know the exact details for each tow option, but I know my buddy with a 2016 had the plug already in his dash, so it was just a matter of taking off the trim and installing/plugging in the controller. I dont think its hard to get to so maybe check before you order.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM
F150 XLT

Originally Posted by mass-hole
I dont know the exact details for each tow option, but I know my buddy with a 2016 had the plug already in his dash, so it was just a matter of taking off the trim and installing/plugging in the controller. I dont think its hard to get to so maybe check before you order.
Ok, thank you. I wasn't sure if the XL trim did or did not have the plug already there in the wire harness behind the cubby. I think I'll order the controller and install it myself to just have the dealer activate it.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

FWIW, the max. tow package also has a bigger radiator and a secondary trans. cooler. Just something to consider when setting the truck up for pulling a larger trailer.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
FWIW, the max. tow package also has a bigger radiator and a secondary trans. cooler. Just something to consider when setting the truck up for pulling a larger trailer.
Are you sure? I'm fairly sure on the 15+ the regular tow package gives you the secondary cooler too. I think the max only gives you an upgraded rear bumper and front stabilizer with the trailer brake controller included. 17+ it included the larger fuel tank with max tow too. I never read anything about a larger radiator.

The rest comes with the regular tow package. On the older trucks the max tow used to increase your GVWR but not on 15+.

Edit - looks like Ford offers an oil cooler now for the 2018 max tow which didn't come with the 17s
Attached Thumbnails Brake controller-img_7466.png   Brake controller-img_7468.png  

Last edited by Magnetic157; 09-07-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

The OP's truck didn't come with ANY tow package so he doesn't have the supplemental trans cooler. Apparently there is no radiator option anymore.